PDA

View Full Version : Party $10/1 NLHE: JJ but overcard flops -> Fold?

AA suited
05-17-2004, 02:07 PM
15/30 blinds, 9 players left, i had JJ and was UTG.
bet 3BB, 2 callers. All 3 of us had ~700 chips. (I have no read on the players since i was doing multitable.)

Flop Axx rainbow. i check, player 2 checks, player 3 bets 1 BB. i fold, player 2 folds

Did I do the right thing or should I have called/re-raised?

Thx

fnurt
05-17-2004, 02:25 PM
There is no immutable law that says someone must have one of whatever overcard happens to flop. You showed weakness, someone bet, they could have any two cards really.

There's about 300 in the pot here. If you lead out for 200-250, you'll pick up the pot enough to make it a worthwhile bet. For all they know, you have AK, and if they don't have an ace they will almost never call.

AA suited
05-17-2004, 03:26 PM
yup, i know i showed weakness. i've learned that when people call a 3bb raise pre-flop, they *usually* have ax or kx or a pair. (i know sometimes they have ANY suited connectors.)

and besides, i was thinking this was still early in the tourny. why take the risk when there's so many people left in the game?

or is that kind of thinking bad in the early rounds of a party 10+1 tourny?

fnurt
05-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Bob Ciaffone once said, and maybe he was quoting someone else in turn, you can't just leave the money out in the middle of the table to rot.

Once there is a decent-sized pot built, it is generally worth taking a stab at winning it. If you get raised, you give it up. If you get called, you probably don't want to invest any more money here. But most of the time they will fold... really!

Against one or two opponents, they will miss the flop more often than not (even if it seems like someone "always" has an ace). Rather than get depressed because you missed the flop, focus on the fact that everyone might have missed it. If your bet of 200 takes down the pot half the time, and the other half you lose the 200 as well as your initial investment, you still come out way ahead. And I think this bet will take down the pot (or will get called, and win anyway) more than half the time.

MVicuna
05-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Hi,

The texture of the flop is important too. If it has a flush or a str8 draw you can bet and still be called by the losing hand. If its unconnected and a rainbow flop any bet thats called is by someone holding an A usually. So you can fold if you wan't. If you plan on folding JJ anytime an AK hits, dont raise with it just call and hope for a set. Over cards flop often enough that your almost always going to be folding.

MarkV.