PDA

View Full Version : What Should I have done differently?

TheRake
05-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Party Multi-table 20+2 Limit Hold'em
~1100 entries, 75 people left.

Blinds 500-1000

Stack sizes

UTG+1 ~19,000
TheRake ~6,100
BB ~12,000

UTG+1 Raises, folded to me OTB with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif I call, BB comes along.

Flop K89r...Checked to me I bet, BB and UTG+1 both call

Turn 7...Check to me I bet, BB calls, UTG+1 c/r's me I call all-in, BB folds.

UTG+1 turns over 77 and I'm Gone /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Being a ring game player I would automatically 3 bet from the button with AKs, but in this case I just called because I was pretty short stacked and I wanted to be able to get away from the flop if I missed and still have some chips left. I thought the blinds would fold and it would be heads up.

Should I have folded to the c/r and been severely short stacked or did I have to call? Actually I was shocked to see 77, I was fully expecting to split with AK.

Could I or should I have done anything differently or did my opponent just get lucky?

Any comments welcome
TheRake

ZootMurph
05-17-2004, 12:50 PM
I would have 3 bet the flop... showing I was ready to go all the way with the hand. When you have a big hand, you have to make the most of it... and,

On the flop, your bet MAY have been enough to get 77 out of there with 3 overs if you had 3-bet preflop. Without enough aggression early, you have a harder time chasing them out later in the hand.

Either way, he was drawing to 2 outs, and you got unlucky there.

fnurt
05-17-2004, 01:13 PM
As short stacked as you are, I would have raised preflop with the intent of getting all my money in the center if possible.

There are some situations where you don't want to invest too much money in AK. This is not one of them. Even if you miss the flop, there's a good chance AK is the best hand, and you can't afford to toss this hand away every time an ace or king fails to flop.

To put it another way, if this were NL, you would surely push preflop, right? So I'd approach the hand with that mentality.

TheRake
05-17-2004, 02:31 PM
It seems obvious to me now that I should have 3-bet PF. It actually seemed obvious to me at the time, but I didn't follow thru with what I knew to be the correct play.

[ QUOTE ]
Either way, he was drawing to 2 outs, and you got unlucky there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, if I knew what he was holding I would have been more than happy to let him draw to his 2 outer.

Thanks for the comments

TheRake

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-17-2004, 03:57 PM
I just called because I was pretty short stacked

You had 3 BB left in your stack and the 5th best starting hand in HE. I'd 3-bet here without a second thought.

Richie Rich
05-17-2004, 07:23 PM
With TPTK and a coordinated looking "89", I would have gone all-in on the flop. Can't afford to lure someone to call you by betting the minimum.

When that 7 fell on the turn, either of your opponents could have had 2 pair, straight, etc. That's EXACTLY the card you didn't want to see (i.e. one that fit in nicely with the 89 on the board). Would have also hated to see any 5, 6, 10, J, Q.