PDA

View Full Version : Who caps this pre-flop?

Raiser
05-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Table is very loose - with varying levels of aggression. I capped pre-flop because I figured all of the opponents in for 2 would call 2 more. I was very surprised when MP1 folded.

2 questions:

(1) Bad cap pre-flop? If so, how many other players do you want in the pot with this hand before you cap it?

(2) Should I have smooth called the flop or was the raise solid considering top pair with a huge draw?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, Button calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (19.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (13.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Button calls, UTG calls.

River: (16.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 17.75 BB

Chris Daddy Cool
05-17-2004, 09:49 AM
What does capping with KQs out of position really accomplish? Just call. The only non pair that I cap with is AKs. Maybe I'm too picky.

Raiser
05-17-2004, 10:05 AM
I looked at this as a "pumping a multiway pot with a good multiway hand" cap. Never in a million years did I expect MP1 to fold and I thought 4 other opponents would be enough to make this play.

But, obviously I have some doubts about it or I wouldn't have posted it.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Just remember, you don't have the ace when if you flop a flush draw, the 3better most likely has your hand dominated, and pumping up the pot will also ensure that your opponents will have proper odds to call on the later streets with just about anything as well.

It's not a terrible cap, but I'm not quite sure its as +EV as you may think.

Raiser
05-17-2004, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the 3better most likely has your hand dominated

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the main reason the cap felt "dirty" after I did it. But at some point the pot becomes enough multi-way that a cap is +EV, no? I'm just not sure when the point is. Probably with more players than 4 or 5 though.

Like I said, this didn't feel right when I did it. I was just curious if anyone else would ever cap with this hand and if so how many other players would make it "correct"?

Ed Miller
05-17-2004, 12:14 PM
With your monster flopping skills, not capping would be insane!

StellarWind
05-17-2004, 12:24 PM
When I raise with KQ and someone reraises behind me I feel sick.

It's nice to think of KQs as a draw, but the truth is it's a high card hand with some draw potential. If you are dominated your cap will never be anywhere near +EV. The best you can probably hope for is that you are out-of-position against a hand like TT or AJs. In other words, things are either not very good or it's a disaster. Even when you flop a pair this hand will be very hard to play.

Raiser
05-17-2004, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With your monster flopping skills, not capping would be insane!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

I guess when Noted Poker Authority Ed Miller chimes in, it's pretty much a TKO against capping.

I will definitely remember that I should only cap in this situation when I feel a monster flop coming. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank God for the micros. I can learn my lessons cheaply.

Raiser
05-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Good points Wind.

The more I think about this, the more I realize that it is probably never correct to cap with this hand. No matter how many are likely to see the flop.