PDA

View Full Version : Stars WSOP simulcast

jasonHoldEm
05-17-2004, 01:28 AM
I just noticed a banner for stars that says they're going to be simulcasting the final WSOP table (5/28).

I think it's absolutely amazing how far we've come in the last year. I remember bouncing between three or four different sites and wearing out my refresh button trying to get updates as moneymaker made history last year. This year I can make popcorn and watch it "pseudo-live" getting to see every hand (including all the boring ones) instead of just the updates whenever someone gets knocked out or a big hand goes down. Simply amazing.

J

GrannyMae
05-17-2004, 01:39 AM
bet it is audio only. i can't see espn allowing any video feeds with the exception of a PPV deal with harrahs. i have heard of no PPV this year either.

did it say video, or just simulcast?

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/x/popcorn.gif

jasonHoldEm
05-17-2004, 01:46 AM
http://www.pokerstars.com/bnrs/current/468x60.gif

You might have to hit reload a couple times as they have some feature that auto-rotates the banners.

I was assuming it would be displayed like a regular poker stars table, given what the banner is suggesting (although marketing can be misleading of course).

J

ZeeJustin
05-17-2004, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was assuming it would be displayed like a regular poker stars table

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it will be, just like they did for the WPT event.

jasonHoldEm
05-17-2004, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it will be, just like they did for the WPT event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent, time to get out the popcorn popper. Was the quality of the replay good? By that I mean was there big long pauses or something or did it "resemble" live play. Did they include any of the table chat made by the players?

I'm not expecting things to be perfect, and without access to hole cards I'm sure there will be long stretches of time where it resembles paint drying, but it should be exciting nonetheless. Now all we need is a 2+2'r (or failing that a Stars player) to make the table.

J

TylerD
05-17-2004, 07:09 AM
That is excellent, they did the same for the Stars WPT event (at least I'm assuming its the same thing) - was hoping they'd be doing this.

t_perkin
05-17-2004, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not expecting things to be perfect, and without access to hole cards I'm sure there will be long stretches of time where it resembles paint drying

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no poker on TV here in lonely Iceland, so my only TV experience of poker is watching "late night poker" in England where they show the hole cards.

Does ESPN run live with no hole cards? or on a delay with hole cards?

Presumably if the hole cards are shown on ESPN then they can stick them onto the simucast as well?

Tim

TylerD
05-17-2004, 07:22 AM
a delay...of about 5 months.

MicroBob
05-17-2004, 08:43 AM
ESPN edits the package kind of like the WPT and shows the WSOP in July or so.

they have the hole-card camera though.

there is no way that they would allow hole-cards to be shown live on stars (or on ESPN for that matter) as it would be possible to somehow get the hole-card info to the table via signals or something.

i too am glad that stars is doing this. it only makes sense.

there will have to be a little bit of a delay just for them to update the information and i imagine it will be a bit tricky for them to keep up with precise stack-sizes but with the right preparation they should be able to do an adequate job.

i'm kind of used to watching championship chess matches in a similar way on the internet. you just see the board..and sometimes see how much time a player has....but you're not getting a video-feed or anythng, you're just looking at the chess position.

internet-chess club sometimes shows 20 games at one time if that many are taking place in a big tournament.

conceiveably, this may happen with big poker tournaments someday where we get more than just final-table coverage...but what stars is doing at the WSOP is still a pretty good start.

obviously it's kind of easy to simulcast a chess-tourney of this variety on the internet since it can sometimes take 20 minutes or longer between moves.

now THATS like watchng paint dry sometimes.

t_perkin
05-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Yes of course thinking about it, even with a 30 min delay there would be some value in knowing how the player had played the previous hands.

Although there must reach a stage where there is no real added value in them knowing the players previous play - it becomes history just as much as watching old tournaments and as much use (still some, but significantly less).

I would say that a 5 hour or 10 hour delay is probably enough. what do others think? would a player still benefit significantly from knowing what a player had 10 hours ago? They could even make it the footage available to the players in the break??
Are hands played 10hours ago really an different to watching how they were playing in a tournament a couple of months ago?

But anyway it is irrelevant - if ESPN doesn't give out the footage for 2 months then that is when it is available /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any idea if Stars are going to let people download hand histories for it? I would really like that.

Tim