PDA

View Full Version : ugggh...I can't lay this down can I?

ProfLupin
05-17-2004, 12:59 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 folds.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>

Am I 100% beat here? No. Am I &gt;90% beat here? Probably. What do you guys do here?

sfer
05-17-2004, 01:35 AM
I'd call. You're likely behind, but there's a small chance you're drawing to two outs, and there's a very large chance you're drawing to 4 outs. The pot is offering you 9.75 to 1 on your redraw. You need slightly more than 10 to 1 to call, but I think you can make up 2 bets on the river if you hit. Just make sure you river a T.

ProfLupin
05-17-2004, 08:59 AM
I called for the exact reasons you gave...I figured it there were many more hands against which I have 4 outs than 2. There are also a few (not as likely) hands where I'm still ahead.

The river was a beautiful Ten, and he bet into me and called my raise. He was indeed holding the nasty AJ, so I hit my two outer /images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Moral of the story...BE CAREFUL WITH ATo! It's a dangerous hand.

submariner
05-17-2004, 09:16 AM
A question on your PF raise. I know its standard to raise PF, when your first in from MP or later and were going to limp in already.
I've also noticed, that often someone in CO or Button will raise with what I would consider a limping hand, if it is folded to them with the exception of one MP limper.
If your first in from LP except for a MP limper, do you generally raise as if you were first in? Is this a table texture question? Thanks

ProfLupin
05-17-2004, 11:24 AM
It's probably more a question of the specific type of hand you have than the texture of the table. With ATo, in late position, with one limper to you, you almost cirtainly have the best hand at that point. AJo is the only better Ace hand that might limp from EP or MP because AQ or higher is going to raise (or should raise at least). Other hands your opponent might limp where you are about even is any pocket pair lower than 10 (again jacks or higher usually raise) or something like KJ or QJ. Any other standard limping hand, you are definately in the lead against and you don't want the limper to see that flop for only one small bet. Now think about the players left to act behind you. You definately don't want to give the blinds a cheap or free look at the flop with any two cards. ATo is a hand that loses strength the further you get in the hand and the greater the number of opponents. So you want to play against the fewest opponents possible and you're hoping to win the hand without a showdown. For the same reasons, it is probably ok to fold ATo if there are 3 or more limpers in front of you preflop because you are far less likely to limit the field with a preflop raise and much more likely to have to show down your hand to win.

Now if you are holding JTs, you probably don't have the best hand preflop and you want to have as many people see the flop as possible. Your hand gets better the deeper into a hand you get and you will win your money with this hand at showdowns with two-pair or better. Which is why you'd call if there's only one limper hoping the button and blinds all see the flop with you. Also if you have three or more limpers ahead of you you'd want to raise because the blinds are much more likely to call and you'll win a huge pot if the flop hits you well.

I hope this makes sense to you. This is standard S&amp;M gospel preflop poker, so if you want a better written version of the ideas I gave you just thumb through HEFAP or HEP. Post some hands where you face this type of preflop decision and I'm sure you'll get some good specific situation advice.

submariner
05-17-2004, 12:21 PM