PDA

View Full Version : Is this turn raise profitable?

Nate tha' Great
05-16-2004, 11:20 PM
SB is very loose before the flop but plays more or less typically thereafter.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, MP folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (6.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, between SB and Hero.</font>

The reason that I bet the river was my hope that had called with a gutshot or an OESD on the turn. My hand didn't have any showdown value, obviously.

Vehn
05-16-2004, 11:29 PM
No.

BreakEvenPlayer
05-17-2004, 12:12 AM
You can raise the flop, bet the turn and river and save yourself 0.5 BB.

You can call the flop and fold the turn and save 3 BB.

You can raise the flop, and then take a free card on the turn and save 2 BB.

All of these assume SB won't 3 bet flop.

Which is the best line?

Vehn
05-17-2004, 12:14 AM
The best line is to call on the flop call on the turn and fold on the river.

If I chose to try to move the guy off his hand I raise the flop and bet the turn and river.

Schneids
05-17-2004, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If I chose to try to move the guy off his hand I raise the flop and bet the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Using the flop to set up the bluff is cheaper than the turn and seems to succeed just as often.

kiddo
05-17-2004, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Using the flop to set up the bluff is cheaper than the turn and seems to succeed just as often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against me, if they want me to fold, a flopcall and turnraise is much better then flopraise and turnbet. This is because almost any player is making a move on flop now and then - raising a draw or a weak pair or overcards or... - but turn(semi)bluffraises are limited to a few players, at least at my 5/10, but guess 10/20 can be a little different?

I fold against most turnraises if I am sitting with a weak hand. But if they raise flop you can hope they are on draw or a bluff or... and call all the way with that 3rd pair. (not saying I always call flopraises and turnbets with a weak hand /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I think making this turnraise now and then is a very important weapon. At least, I am pretty sure I dont do it enough.

fyodor
05-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Given that you are going to bluff right through the river then sure, raising the flop is slightly cheaper. However representing the 3rd 4 with the turn raise is probably more likely to succeed.

In either case, with the size of the pot you need to have him fold fairly often for it to be profitable.