PDA

View Full Version : Top 2 pair - 3 bets to me.

MaxPower
05-16-2004, 10:20 PM
10/20 game at Foxwoods. I'm on the Button and a new player has posted in the CO. The SB is a guy who I'm pretty sure has never played Holdem. He sees every flop and and calls to the end with anything. The BB is loose aggresive bordering on Maniac.

Everyone folds to the CO, who checks his option. I have KTo and raise (mistake?). SB calls, BB 3-bets, everyone calls.

Flop: K T 9 rainbow

SB bets, BB raises, CO 3-bets.....

What's my plan?

steveyz
05-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Cap it.

And I would have raised with KTo in your situation every time.

sweetzer
05-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Raise preflop, cap the flop, there are two many draws out there. Someone could easily turn a better two pair, so protect it.

elysium
05-17-2004, 01:54 AM
hi max
fold pre-flop. the CO hurts the KTo significantly because of the aggression behind you. this is precisely the type of situation not to get into in this game.

under the conditions that you describe, from the CO acting first, you could raise-in with the KTo, but if you were acting first from the button, you should fold. awww max, no. of course that doesn't make sense. not much will this early on in your development of this game. this is why a foxwoods 10-20 + youthful inexperience = minus 10 thousand dollars plus.

wow. foxwoods 10-20. that's who you want to go punching with? alright.

don't cap it. you'll need to keep the SB lively so that he will drive it around to you again like that of course. you must stay focused on getting the most amount into the pot as you can. in this game, while your opponents may seem like lousy players, they aren't max. foxwoods is notoriously brutal on weekdays. the weekend games are better. now, you'll lose a lot anyway, even on weekends in the 10-20. if a 10 or 20 thousand dollar loss is not a lot to you (it is to me though) then i can't stop you. and you'll need at least that to sustain you while you learn. and yes, you'll definately lose it. you might click a little at about 30 grand. it's dicey though.

this will be the last time i warn you about what can happen in the 10-20. hopefully, you're in a lower limit and posting it like a 10-20 if you can't afford to put that much at risk.

i'm editing here. i just looked up 'alright' in my little websters, AND IT'S NOT THERE! have you all allowed me to continue using a word that doesn't exist? i use it a lot. you learn something every day. so it's 'all right'....oh no.

Lori
05-17-2004, 02:37 AM
Definition: [adv] (informal) in a satisfactory or adequate manner; "she'll do okay on her own"; "held up all right under pressure"; (`alright' is a nonstandard variant of `all right')
[adv] sentence-initial expression of agreement
[adv] reinforces an assertion, as in"It's expensive all right"
[adj] nonstandard usage

It's okay Elysium, in fact it's alright.
It's a nonstandard usage, you have a nonstandard style, nothing to worry about just yet, the online hyper-dictionary doesn't mind it.

Lori

JTG51
05-17-2004, 02:42 AM
foxwoods is notoriously brutal on weekdays. the weekend games are better. now, you'll lose a lot anyway, even on weekends in the 10-20. if a 10 or 20 thousand dollar loss is not a lot to you (it is to me though) then i can't stop you. and you'll need at least that to sustain you while you learn. and yes, you'll definately lose it. you might click a little at about 30 grand. it's dicey though.

I guess it's been a while since you've been to Foxwoods?

MaxPower
05-17-2004, 11:07 AM
OK. The only 2 responses I've gotten so far say I should cap it on the flop.

That is what I did.

A blank came on the turn. The SB checked, The BB bet, the CO raised.

What now?

MaxPower
05-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Elysium,

Don't worry, I'm only down 20 grand so far. I can afford to loose a little more.

I appreciate the fact that you edited your post to make sure it was as accurate as possible.

steveyz
05-17-2004, 02:00 PM
I'd just call the turn as I don't want to have to call a cap. I'm still not convinced he flopped a set or the straight. There's still a good chance he has KT, K9, T9 and figures you for AK/AA. And I'd just call down on the river unless you spike another K or T obviously.

elysium
05-17-2004, 02:14 PM
hi max
no max, no. do not cap it on the flop. i haven't read the other responses, but i can tell you that capping is wrong. this is not even debatable. you must call the flop.

you need to think through some of the 'relative position' info you'll find laying around here. you need to consider the effect of your bet or raise from the perspective of how it will effect relative position in the following round of the hand. this is especially true when you have the best absolute position. additionally, you must consider the effect of your opponent's playing style on relative position, along with the coordination of the board.

by the way, it's good to know that you can sustain the kind of losses that you are facing in the near term future. sometimes, losses one on top of the other can begin to snowball your game. what is 'snowball of game'? that's when your losses have clustered together a little into what is now a giant snowball directly behind you, whose curvature is breathing down the nape of your neck, linearly like, and the only thing standing between the crushing weight of the snowball and being pancake oriented for a while, is the warmth of your bankroll. if it's a goodly size bankroll, then when you see the snowball coming, you simply wrap it around your neck a few times, and you're fully protected. the snowball will pass right over you with no effect. but if the bankroll is prunellic, with neither adequate layering nor heating coil, or is dripping wet with the saturation of calling moisture, then, once again, things begin looking lateral, and you need to get as much wood into the campfire of a pot as you possibly can when you have the best of it.

sometimes, you need to sacrifice bankroll aridity and dryness for the lumber of relative position as they say. nevertheless, if that's a word, do have the thickest bankroll you can muster. the 10-20 comes in like a snowflake, but has the blizzardness of a giant foxwoods snowball. your bankroll needs the protective financial wherewithall of an r-10 thermal insolated geodesic igloo, with all the latest state of the art heating coils and emergency lumber just in case. and spare dry clothes in waterproof plastic bags.

it gets very cold at foxwoods, but the ice is very, very thin.

CrackerZack
05-17-2004, 02:22 PM
I couldn't possibly begin to pick what part of this response I like the most. But the final line will surely stick with me.

jujujaja34
05-17-2004, 02:53 PM
"your bankroll needs the protective financial wherewithall of an r-10 thermal insolated geodesic igloo, with all the latest state of the art heating coils and emergency lumber just in case."

Possibly the greatest line ever!

jujujaja34

MaxPower
05-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Don't encourage him.

I need to go post this over on the small stakes forum so I can get a decent answer.

Whenever I post here all I get is elysium telling me how much I suck.

Lori
05-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Possibly the greatest line ever!

Possibly, but it's possible you just discovered the world that is Elysium.... There are many of equal magnitude.

Lori