PDA

View Full Version : Fold Damn IT

FletchJr.
05-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Please do not respond saying raise preflop.

On the flop i was checking to get more information. IF it came back raised to me I'd probably smooth call, and i was going to trap them if they're were more opponents but it came back HU.
Then the turn, OK let's try to bump him i thought.
River better fire out again.

comments on all streets welcome

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB raises, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB bets, UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls.

River: (9 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, BB calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

nothumb
05-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Ok, I won't say 'raise pre-flop.' But if you're NOT raising pre-flop, and you want to have a chance to win the pot on a semi-bluff, I would have check-raised the flop. If you want to have a chance to push him off I think you need to start sooner. Had you raised PF a turn c/r might have earned more respect, but since there's no read on the guy it's hard to say how observant he is.

I agree with the idea of trapping on the flop if you can get more players, but since you can't, I say fire away then and there. It wouldn't be a travesty to win this pot outright, you are a dog to make a hand if BB has anything.

Just my opinion, I think I sometimes have trouble using aggression early in a hand.

FletchJr.
05-16-2004, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are a dog to make a hand if BB has anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
by the river not by much. Unless he's got a set or AA I got at least 12 outs. hrmm. yea, you think a c/r then follow through on the turn would earn more respect then a c/r on the turn once the board pairs?

Nightwish
05-16-2004, 06:58 PM
First of all, this belongs in small stakes, not here.

Second, you need to raise preflop. I know you don't want to hear it, but this was your biggest mistake of the hand.

Third, when he calls your turn check-raise, what do you think he has? You think there's a 1/10 chance that he'll fold a better hand?

steveyz
05-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Most people are pretty suspect of turn raises when the board pairs, esp top pair, and esp when you check call the flop and that top pair is a J. Because a J top pair is so vulerable, most people will bet/check-raise the flop with they hit it.

Mostly likely, the BB in your case is probably just a loose player who will call you down with any pair here. The fact that the board pairs makes it less likely in his mind that you have the J.

The only way you would have been able to move BB off his hand is if he was on the flush draw himself. If you c/r the flop then bet the turn and river, you lose less money if BB calls you down, but you still get the benefit of folding a flush draw.

Trying to move someone off a pair, especially heads-up, especially at the 3/6 is a very costly proposition.

I'd only try if I had a good read that BB was tight.

FletchJr.
05-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the excellent reply steve.

And everyone else, my appologies I thought that I poted this in the small stakes section.