PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of multitable for a newish player

Hallett
05-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Hi all, I have recently started playing two tables at once on Party (2/4). I have been able to keep my BB/hr about the same as if I played one table only, about 2.7BB/hr. I think I could tighten up a bit and play three, but I feel that as a new player, it is very important for me to increase my skills, and find/fix my bad habits now, while they are not set in stone.

My question is, if I continue playing multiple tables, I am getting a higher return, but at the expense of building solid skills, such as hand reading, and knowledge of other players, is this a good thing? On one table, I have a pretty good idea what is going on (I am much better in B&M at this), but when I add tables, I give up my reads.

What do you guys feel is more important, increasing skills and moving to higher limits, or playing as many tables as is practical? Are other players able to keep really good solid reads of two tables at once? If that is so, maybe I should keep studying and learning, then add tables later. I look forward to your opinions!

astroglide
05-16-2004, 06:10 PM
it is up to you to decide what is most important to you

Hallett
05-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks.

Pretty much had the "it's up to me" thing figured out. Maybe I did a poor job explaining what I was looking for.

Do people feel that they can do a decent job of hand / opponent reading while playing more than 1 table?

Did successful players (heck, any player for that matter) master single tables first before adding other tables, or did they simply take their existing skills to more than 1 table, because they knew it would be profitable?

Are learned skills "less utilized" when playing multiple tables, or are people playing simple, straightforward poker?

Thanks

jasonHoldEm
05-16-2004, 10:08 PM
I think it depends on what your goals are....

If you want to make money NOW learn to play multiple low-limit tables. 2/4 and 3/6 are easy enough to crush on autopilot, you won't learn much, but you'll make a pretty decent wage.

If you want to make money LATER stick to one table, learn to play your opponents, focus on improving your game, etc, etc. You'll reach bigger games and become a better player than the low limit multi-table grinders ever will.

I've been a multi-tabler for probably close to a year now, but I'm getting really tired of it. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut most of the time. I'm slowly making a return to one table and focusing on improving my game over earning money. Take that for what it's worth.

Peace,
J

astroglide
05-16-2004, 10:50 PM
depends on the person. that's as honest of an answer as you can get to these types of questions. if 10 people tell you their stories, they're 10 people, but they're not you.