PDA

View Full Version : UB aruba satellite

daryn
05-16-2004, 04:30 PM
here's a hand from the aruba satellite. wondering how i did... just a short one.

thegame27 is at seat 0 with 815.
Asphaltangel is at seat 1 with 740.
sandman_33 is at seat 2 with 1850.
makdaddy is at seat 3 with 2175.
KrAzYkAnUcK is at seat 4 with 1360.
starwatcher is at seat 5 with 815.
bad call is at seat 6 with 1210.
Tourdirjimmy is at seat 7 with 3405.
Ramsey 25 is at seat 8 with 505.
daryn is at seat 9 with 1675.
The button is at seat 1.

sandman_33 posts the small blind of 30.
makdaddy posts the big blind of 60.

thegame27: -- --
Asphaltangel: -- --
sandman_33: -- --
makdaddy: -- --
KrAzYkAnUcK: -- --
starwatcher: -- --
bad call: -- --
Tourdirjimmy: -- --
Ramsey 25: -- --
daryn : 5c 6c

Pre-flop:

KrAzYkAnUcK folds. starwatcher folds. bad call
folds. Tourdirjimmy calls. Ramsey 25 folds.
daryn calls. thegame27 folds. Asphaltangel
folds. sandman_33 calls. makdaddy checks.

Flop (board: 9c 3c 7s):

sandman_33 bets 240. makdaddy folds. Tourdirjimmy
raises to 960. daryn folds. ??? sandman_33 folds.
Tourdirjimmy is returned 720 (uncalled).

anyone?

banditbdl
05-16-2004, 05:50 PM
I hate the preflop call with a baby suited connector like that in middle position. You get a great flop and then have to make that tough tough decision on the flop, yek. I would have pushed on the flop, but that's just me.

DogFace
05-16-2004, 05:56 PM
That's a no-brainer fold as I see things. The players in UB freerolls generally don't do anything too fancy in the early stages of the tournaments. If they bet big, they usually have a big hand.

The odds are that he had you beaten pretty badly. You weren't getting anything close to pot odds and if you moved all-in I can pretty much guarantee that you would have been called.

Calling a 60 chip blind with that hand is somewhat suspect, but you have to hit on a few big hands to win those freerolls and I can't blame you for getting in there with a nice little suited connector. However, you need to be prepared to toss that hand very quickly at the first sign of trouble unless you're getting great pot odds or if you really think a re-raise might win it for you.

Kenshin
05-16-2004, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You weren't getting anything close to pot odds and if you moved all-in I can pretty much guarantee that you would have been called.

[/ QUOTE ]
I probably would muck here. That said, I think your assessment of the pots odds is erroneous. He will make a solid hand in excess of 50% of the time after this flop. He definately has close to the odds to go all in. Only a higher flush draw truly dominates him and even then he has 6 outs.

I changed my opinion after posting. I would go all in here

daryn
05-16-2004, 11:14 PM
this wasn't a freeroll by the way, it was the $100+9 aruba satellite.

AceKQJT
05-16-2004, 11:27 PM
I think I would have folded the small suited connectors preflop In this Situation. Not enough callers ahead of me to insure a nice payoff if I hit the flop. I like to have a 6- or 7-way pot with those cards.

As for your post-flop play, I don't have a problem with a push OR a fold here. You were certainly getting close enough odds to push (assuming that you will pick up the pot right there a small percentage of the time). However, giving up the T-60 to put your money on better odds later in the tourney would certainly be reasonable as well.

-- Casey

sdplayerb
05-17-2004, 12:04 AM
I think your preflop play was fine. You put in less than 4% of your chips, so doesn't hurt much if you flop nothing then get away. There were two callers also, so will probably be 5 handed.

Now you just had a great flop. Flush draw and a double bellybuster. 15 outs. Unless somebody else is on a flush draw, you are ahead.
Then there was a bet then a raise, so extra chips in there.
I would prefer a chance to pushin and hopefully get everybody to fold, or else fight for it, but the raiser will call. Still you are ahead odds wise, plus there is dead money in there.

On top of this, this tourney gives 1 seat per 100 entrants. So you really need to try to win it, so are willing to take more variance.

With all of this, easy decision to me, I pushin.

SD

daryn
05-17-2004, 12:51 PM
thanks for the comments. i figured the preflop call wasn't that bad, even though there was only one limper. the blinds were just so small in relation to my stack and i wanted to flop a big hand. i got the big draw but chickened out. i figured i'd wait for a better spot, but in hindsight i probably should have just went for it. like you said you need to get 1st so you have to take some chances, and i did hit the flop hard.

after this hand i was doing great, had some big hands and was 3rd in chips with 30 left or something like that, but alas it wasn't my day. i went from 3rd in chips to busto in 5 minutes.

had a KK in lp, one limper to me, i raise a little more than the pot, one caller, Ace flops, he checks, i bet 1K, he checkraises all in.. oops. next hand i get AK, raise a little more than pot, and the big blind wakes up with AA. he was shorter than me so i had to call it preflop, sad.

ZootMurph
05-17-2004, 01:21 PM
When you decide to play a hand preflop, you need to have a reason to play it.

So, my question is why did you play 56s? If you were playing for the flush, well you got a good flop. If you were playing for the straight, well you got a decent flop. If you were hoping to get two pair, trips, quads, or straight flush, then you should have folded the hand. In this case, you have 15 outs. Thinking of folding is not an option.

Basically, what I'm saying is you should have a plan before you put any money into the pot. Once you've made that decision, then you'd know what you wanted to do. In this hand, you didn't have a preflop plan, and so should not have invested any money.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-17-2004, 02:47 PM
I don't like the limp preflop. I actually prefer raising first in with small suited connectors. Maybe if I were on the button with 2 or more limpers I'd limp.

But, now that you're in the pot - Of the range of hands I put him on, very few are flush draws, so those outs should be clean for you (Ac 7c is the one real possibility). Otherwise he may have 97, almost anything with a 9, TT, 88, T8. Most people check-raise a flopped set in NL.

You, on the other hand have gotten about the best implied-odds flop possible. A flush draw *and* a double belly-buster. You have close to proper pot odds to call, and you have a great chance to double up if a non club 4 or 9 hits on the turn. (I doubt he's betting the pot with JT).

I'd honestly be tempted to push in right here. Only the winner gets Aruba, right? He's going to fold X% of the time if you push, you're a favorite to fill either your flush or straight by the river, and most of the time, you'll win when you do.

I think the last thing I do here is fold, whether I call, push in or raise to 600 or so depends on how I think the bettor *and* the players left to act will react.

I might consider calling and pushing in on the turn. 15 outs are pretty tempting in a top-heavy prize pool.

Lost Wages
05-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Most people check-raise a flopped set in NL.

He can't very well checkraise after he was bet into. Daryn is a 3:2 dog to a set, even money with 97 and drawing near dead against Tc8c.

Lost Wages

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Multi-tasking again. I somehow read it as being one pot-sized bet to him.