PDA

View Full Version : Check-raising with KK after A comes on flop to drive people out?

Dieter01
05-16-2004, 02:21 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls $0.50 (All-In), MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in) </font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in) </font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls, CO calls.

River: (13.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in) </font>
UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 2.75 BB, between UTG, UTG+1, CO and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (2.75 BB).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 14 BB, between UTG, CO and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (14 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Jh 6d (two pair, tens and fours).
UTG+1 shows Jd 9h (two pair, tens and fours).
CO shows Ks Ac (two pair, aces and tens).
Button shows 5h Td (full house, tens full of fours).
Outcome: Button wins 16.75 BB. </font>

OK, so pre-flop all is good. But then the inevitable A drops on the flop. Usually I would go out betting. However, if I check-raise the CO after he bets (I am kind of hoping the guy in between will fold to), then I might be able to get heads up with him. And he could be on QQ or JJ.

In addition, I am hoping he (they) take notice of the c/r, get a little scared and give me a free card afterwards...

Anyways... Is this strategy just pointless? Should I just go out betting, and fold if he re-raises or many people call my bet?

illunious
05-20-2004, 01:49 AM
I've gotten used to folding KK when an ace flops in most multi-way pot situations. Underpairs to the TP on the board were my biggest money losers after reviewing my hands in pockertracker.

Trix
05-20-2004, 04:28 AM
You dont drive more people out here than you do by betting. 1 between both ways.

If you bet and get raised, you can lay down unimproved on the turn though.

Peter Harris
05-20-2004, 05:15 AM
who do you drive out with a flop C/R? the aces stay and beat you.

You want to be driving out with the best hand, right? I doubt that c/r is the best play here, but i am open to arguments!

Peter Harris

cjromero
05-20-2004, 08:29 AM
I have difficulty with this situation as well. When I have KK and an Ace flops, or QQ and a K flops, I will usually bet the flop. If I get raised on the flop and there are multiple callers, I will check/fold the turn unimproved.

My dilemma is this. What do you do if no one raises the flop, but there are 2 callers? 3 callers? 4 callers? At Party micro limits, people love to play Kx and Ax, so isn't it reasonable to assume that you are behind after the flop? Do you lead out again on the turn and fold to a raise? Do you check/fold the turn if unimproved?