PDA

View Full Version : Limit Hold'em SNG Strategy?

jslag
05-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Hi,

I like to play 30+3 and 50+5 Limit Hold'em SNG tournaments. My winning percentage flunctuates, but on average I stay in the money around 45%. Should I drop a level to increase that stat? I feel like I have a good game, but I tend to get 2nd and 3rd place finishes more than 1st place finishes.

I believe this is due to a lack of strategy on my part in the end (with < 6 players left). I do well with a chip lead, but if I have a medium sized stack I seem to fold too often and lose a lot chips in the blinds.

Had a bit of a bad streak today, only placed in 1 out of 6 50+5 SNGs. Got bad beats on three of those, but still I think I could have sustained those bad beats if I had a better strategy at the end -- can anyone give some tips for short-handed play when you AREN'T in the chip lead?

I seem to get beaten by Q7o and crap like that by the chip leader when I'm the favorite after the flop with something like ATs.

What are borderline hands that you like to call with short-handed (even if it puts you all-in for instance) when you've got to make a move to get into the money?

Also, does anyone have an opinion on how the SNGs at PartyPoker compare to those at PokerStars? I mostly play at Party but have considered an account at PokerStars recently.

Thanks.

/images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

GuidoSarducci
05-15-2004, 11:55 PM
You should post a few hands of examples of when you're a favorite and get sucked out on by cheese hands. With the limited information you've put forward, methinks perhaps you're not aggressive enough when you have playable hands, or you're calling when you should be raising.

Need more information, though.

joker122
05-16-2004, 12:04 AM
This is very bizarre. I was going to make a post with an identical subject before I saw this. I also play $50/5 limit SNGs. I usually play ring games (2/4 and 3/6) but have recently taken a liking to SNGs. I did great my first 10 tournaments but today I got many dominate hands cracked when I was all in.

I'm also curious to learn about a winning strategy for these SNGs. For example what hands to play at each level etc. I look foward to the replies that some of the experienced players here can offer.

Michael Davis
05-16-2004, 12:58 PM
Please don't tell anyone to post hands where they get sucked out.

The situation in these limit tournaments is often not all that different from no limit: one or more players has so few chips less (2x or 3x times the BB) that playing Q7o is not wrong. Unless you're holding a pair or are fortunate enough to hold a dominating hand, you are never going to be above a 70% win rate on any hand that is dealt through the river. ATs is going to lose to Q7 a lot. It might seem like too much, and for periods of days, it could be. But you'll get those breaks, too.

-Michael

jslag
05-16-2004, 01:24 PM
I suppose I can understand Q7o beating a ATs fairly frequently once the game has gone more short-handed. However, I did lose two hands (both that would have given me chip lead or kept me in the money) yesterday -- one where I was 72% the favorite on the turn and one where I was 86% the favorite on the turn, both times my opponent got their long shot river card. Oh well, eh? (/END RANT)

Bad beats aside, does anyone have any tips or links to other places with good SNG strategy, especially once 5-6 people have been knocked out and it's gone short-handed? I know that I get a lot of my blinds stolen because I am not the type to call with a 54o in the BB unless I'm practically all-in anyways. What is correct strategy with small-to-medium stacks in the blinds late in the SNG? Call & pray?

/images/graemlins/spade.gif J. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Nemesis
05-16-2004, 01:27 PM
i'm still learning, but it seems the most likely answer is to re-raise with your above average hands, and fold the sub par. In general don't JUST call.

Peter Harris
05-16-2004, 05:31 PM
what i *love* about this forum is seeing a thread that i was about to post.

I am 0 for 5 in 10+1 limit tourneys; these invariably follow the "trips losing to the board 4-flush" thing, that doesn't bother me.

What does is the problem with limit, as far as I can see it, is that if you are in EP, with the best hand, people always have odds to draw to you (not that many 10+1 people will consider odds, i guess). Unlike in pot limit, where i can bet the pot on the turn killing flush draws, in limit i have to muck my hand when the board hits 4 hearts, as my bet was a pitiful 1/6th of the pot. Should i not be betting my best hand for "fear" of the draw? should i be the one playing draws, not pairs and big cards? I think the answer is no; refusing to bet a set because 2 or 3 spades are on the board and "if another falls i'm screwed" strikes me as weak-tight scared play.

There must be something missing in limit that is present in no/pot limit. The fact that i can't really identify it means that i am loathe to play more of them until the strategy shows clear.

Please comment, for all our sakes!
Peter Harris

DrPhysic
05-17-2004, 12:33 AM
Ok guys, one more time, I will out of the goodness and graciousness of my heart, provide you with my patented, computer simulated, mathematically proven

“General Strategy For Playing Limit Holdem SNG’s and Multis”:

DON’T!

You’re Welcome.

Doc

(It’s not that I can’t play limit, I just HATE every minute of it after playing NLHE for almost a year!)

HajiShirazu
05-17-2004, 06:47 AM
Well, although I do think NLHE is a better format for tournaments in general, I think the real problem with limit holdem sit and goes is the horrible format where the blinds are so massive compared to one's stack, combined with the extremely loose players usually found in these. With no chance of winning pots without a showdown in most cases, it's basically a contest of who can pick up the most monster hands in the shortest amount of time. Might as well be playing the lottery.

mackthefork
05-17-2004, 07:34 AM
I only got one of them on my log, I accidently entered on Party won it anyway never again. Limit ring games are fine but NL is best for tourneys.

Regards ML