PDA

View Full Version : Stars is OK, at least for you

C M Burns
05-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I posted this on the iternet forum too, but since most of this is from sng's i'l post it here too.
No doubt many of you have at least considered after a couple bad beats, maybe the system is biased somehow, favoring all those fish. Well I decided finally to do a little "reseach" on this subject. What I did was keep track of a number of pre flop head up allins to see if they check out.

These hands are all at Stars over the last moth or so. Mostly sng (turbo since i was impatient) but a few from multi's. To qualify two, and only two people had to be in an allin situation pre flop, then i recorded the hands and who won, only about 1/3 are mine, i computed the expected win rate and compared it to observed (tie hands were excluded)

175 hands in total. Expected win probability for favorite was .66, and the favorite won .67 or 67% of the time. You do not need to be a statistician to see that this is right in line with what is expected.

And 175 hands may seem small but it is actually a reasonable sample to make some conclusions. I won't go into detail but this is very much like telling whether a coin is biased, how many flips do you need? Of course it depends how big a bias but 100 flips would be a reasonable amount to detect a .1 bias (e.g. .6 head) There is more variablility in the hands of course but, we are talking hundereds of hands not thousands to make a reasonable conclusion.

However, what about my hands. 61 hands were mine, of those I was favored 69% of the time. Ok I guess since most of these were high blind small stack situations. My expected win was .55, and observed was .46, a considerable diference, not rediculous but one would expect this only about 10% of the time (run of these 61 hands). I guess I should be happy i was slightly profitable over than run. Of course then if you take my hands out the favorite wins much more than expected (.75 to .66).

So the bottom line is that Stars tourney allins seem to be fair for all of you. Whether they are out to get me is still to be decided.

William
05-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Well, I can tell you that I have made the same kind of research and from a sample of 694 All-ins, me being involved in all of them and of course with the best hand, I have been outdrawn 846 times, wich is basically what the 78% rule states. My AA has lost 381 times in a row and KK or QQ 1263 times in a row to inferior hands.

Please don't bother me with insignificant details such as your numbers don't match or the like, my test is very accurate.
Do you think it is a coincidence the site is called RiverStars?

William /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The truth is out there, and it's name is the 78% rule!

dogsballs
05-16-2004, 12:33 AM
lol, will.

I was thinking these same things today, watching my AKs go down to AQo in a 55 turbo.

joker122
05-16-2004, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I can tell you that I have made the same kind of research and from a sample of 694 All-ins, me being involved in all of them and of course with the best hand, I have been outdrawn 846 times, wich is basically what the 78% rule states. My AA has lost 381 times in a row and KK or QQ 1263 times in a row to inferior hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

New to the forum, a few questions:
What is the 78% rule?
What do you think would motivate a site to help out
the worse players?
And how were you outdrawn 846 times in a sample of only 694?

DrPhysic
05-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Wm,

I just love it when you get these wonderful posts from people taking you seriously.

Joker: the 78% rule is explained reasonably well in a thread started by Profit, explanation by Stoneii at the moment on the front page of this forum.

also for forum newbies:

ROFLMAO is a highly technical computer term usually only explained in masters degree programs.

Be very careful of William's posts. Every once in a while he posts one that is educational rather than humorous, and those are a must read.

Doc

PS: Wm, I like the Wylie Coyote pic. very appropriate.

DrPhysic
05-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Joker,

Gotcha!

also

Welcome to 1 Table Tournament Forum. There really are some serious poker discussions here, intermixed with tournament invitations and some humor as you may have noticed. We play SNG games 3 times a week. Check announcement on Monday for times.

Doc /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-16-2004, 12:37 PM
me being involved ...of course with the best hand,

If you're all-in with the best hand 100% of the time, you're playing too tight. /images/graemlins/wink.gif