PDA

View Full Version : bluff and semi-bluff hands...am I spewing chips?

ProfLupin
05-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Hand 1, pure bluff:
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) folds, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>

Hand 2, semi-bluff:
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>

Hand 3, semi-bluff:
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>

Thomsen
05-15-2004, 10:35 AM
hand 1-
fold preflop

hand 2-
U might want to bet the flop - besides i like..

hand 3-
The raise is probably correct, wouldnt do it too often though what if 3 bet ? I would call more than 50 % of the time - never fold...

adanthar
05-15-2004, 10:49 PM
Hand 1: I open raise this sometimes, too, but if I want to be frisky here I bet into the button and see what happens, not checkraise. I really don't like this line with K high (but I'd try it with AJ or AQ on occasion.)

Hand 2: Betting is good because no one at the table has a Q. If they call, fine. If not, you've hopefully driven some overcards like KT and AJ away and increased your outs.

Hand 3: If somebody has a 2, you're getting 3 bet. If no one does, you're driving out people behind you that you want to stay in when you hit. I like just calling much better.

MrBlini
05-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Hand 1: You're a maniac! With this flop and turn, AQ is correct to call you down, and he will unless he's a quivering mass of Jell-o. A big pair will likely raise you on the turn. I mean, what are the odds you're open-raising with an eight? I don't see a made hand you can be given credit for that shouldn't be called down by overcards alone at this point. (Of course, I can see your cards, and he can't. You're still a maniac.)

With the CO posting, I might open-raise with this, too. Without that attraction, I think I fold.

Hand 2: I like this bet on the turn. You're unlikely to get everyone to fold unless the board missed everybody completely, but it costs you very little and will help you get paid off on the river.

Hand 3: I don't know. It doesn't seem like a big leak, but I think you'd prefer to win this pot by check-raising the backdoor flush or gutshot straight on the river, and you can't do that if you've check-raised the turn. I don't think you're getting a J to fold.

ProfLupin
05-16-2004, 11:42 PM
Hand 1: I had my opponent pegged for AK for some reason (don't remember the specifics) and wanted to know if I could bully him off the pot with the low board.
It worked this time, he folded to my turn bet. However this is not a play I would make without a very strong read. In fact I'm not sure my read here was strong enough, but for some reason it seemed the right time to make a move.

Hand 2: Seemed very likely noone had a Q, so I figured a J or T might give me the best hand. Seemed like an obvious bet especially with my position. Everyone folded, which surprised me a little.

Hand 3:
If I remember correctly, MP2 liked to bet out his flush draws on the flop and the turn again if all he got were calls. I check/raised here to try to get rid of UTG in case he had a better A than mine. It worked well, both UTG and MP2 folded.

In hindsight I don't like my pure bluff attempt in hand 1. If I had gotten called down that's a lot of bets to make up trying to take advantage of my new maniac image. Hand 2 seemed pretty standard to me. It was interesting to see some arguements for simply calling in hand 3. I'll have to think further about those.

One other note: Plays like these are working much better at the full tables than at the 6max tables. The 6max players call down with anything /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Of course a failed bluff there can be taken advantage of very quickly because they start paying off my big hands even more than normal.

gamblore99
05-17-2004, 12:20 AM
Hand 1- I like folding preflop and folding the flop. Basically I just like folding here.
Hand 2 - I like checking the flop. The board may be trashy but with 5 people your probably gonna get a caller and you may get check raised. You have nothing. Just take the free card and be happy. The turn raise is also good

Hand 3- I would fold the flop. but once your in for the turn, raising or the calling both look ok. I don't think one is much better than the other.