PDA

View Full Version : An observation from my travels

ACPlayer
05-15-2004, 09:14 AM
I have spent the last month and a half travelling in various parts of Asia (Cambodia/Vietnam) and hope to spend the next two months doing the same (Laos, Thailand) - if time/money/energy cooperate.

In the late 90's I spent two plus years in Africa with extensive travel in Southern and Eastern Africa (S. Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Botswana, Zambia, Namibia).

Generally my travel style could be described as upper middle backpacker, that is I stay in the upper-middle range of backpacker style accomodations.

The observation:

In my travels I usually meet other travellers from UK, Germany, France, Australia, NZ. These are the most commonly represented countries.

So, far in this trip, I have met exactly 2 Americans.

Any ideas on why Americans dont seem to travel abroad as much as say the French or the Germans?

sam h
05-15-2004, 03:08 PM
I have done two months in Thailand and Myanmar as well as eight months across Latin America. Like you, I'm an "upper middle backpacker."

I also didn't meet many Americans, or at least quite few compared to the vast number of Europeans and Aussies. Two primary explanations come to mind: 1) In countries such as Britain and Australia, it is fairly common for people to take a year off before going to University. The practice of doing so gets institutionalized, some people take this intial opportunity to travel, and the whole thing feeds on itself. 2) Americans as a whole are simply less interested in seeing the rest of the world, especially the developing world. I really think this is true, and also fairly sad.

Cubswin
05-15-2004, 05:09 PM
I have done some backpacking in europe and the middle east and found their to be lots of yanks in europe....now the middle east was a different story.

Here are some of the reasons that i think are valid:

1) geographical proximity of the US to other countries
2) the backbone of backpacking, the hostel, is a foreign idea to most americans
3) there are many great sites and cities to see in the US that many find it unnessary to travel overseas
4) travel costs for the US to the rest of the world are comparatively higher then a lot of countries
5) the US doesnt get 5+ weeks of vacation time a year like many from other countries get
6) the US education system does not stress the study of foreign culture and languages so there is little interest in traveling abroad
7) some american's fear anti-americanism

im sure im missing a bunch more

Duke
05-15-2004, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have done some backpacking in europe and the middle east

[/ QUOTE ]

That second spot might not be a great idea these days.

~D