PDA

View Full Version : Media Bias Discussions Seem Pointless to Me

adios
05-15-2004, 08:40 AM
If the issue is whether or not media organizations are completely objective or not, then of course they're not objective what person or entity is and objectivity probably is in the eye of the beholder. What quantitative measures would one use to grade a news organizations objectivity and journalistic acumen seem to be the relevant issues to me. Same comments apply to the media as a whole. As far as editorial commentary, it is what it is.

Utah
05-15-2004, 10:35 AM
It would be quite easy to measure quantitatively, even if the measurements were not perfect. For example, you simply rate a story on a set of criteria and then you could assign values for the placement/coverage that story gets. You would then use this to come up with a score. I have wanted to do this with CNN and Foxnews but I am too busy.

The problem is not that the news organizations are 'not completely objective'. The problem is that they are violently slanted. A person who just went to CNN each day would have a completely different world view than someone who just went to Fox news.