PDA

View Full Version : Comment for Mike Souchak about Golf

fleece_me
05-15-2004, 03:42 AM
When the PGA players start self funding their events, you can start discussing poker and golf in the same sentence.

Until then, you are out of line for passing judgment on what poker players do to put food on the table.

99% of those nits on the PGA tour couldn't shoot par for the cash if their life depended on it.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-15-2004, 08:16 AM
No offense, but what do you think they're doing when they play "practice rounds"?

JTrout
05-15-2004, 09:43 AM
99% of those nits on the PGA tour couldn't shoot par for the cash if their life depended on it.

Wanna bet?

JTrout
05-15-2004, 10:09 AM
guys who put up their own purse (http://www.tightliestour.net/)

It seems that these "nits" that aren't good enough to play the tour can shoot par.

Check out any of the dozens of mini-tours. They are putting up more than the purse in entry fees. They are trying to put food on the table. They don't work deals with other players. It's not an acceptable practice.

I'm not passing judgement on tournament players that do what is considered an acceptable practice. I'm saying it SHOULD NOT be an acceptable practice.

And I'm also saying you don't know squat about how good the players on the PGA Tour are.

JTrout.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-15-2004, 11:23 AM
No kidding. They gamble all the time. Read anything Sam Snead ever wrote.

JTG51
05-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Read anything Sam Snead ever wrote.

Or Chi Chi Rodriquez or Lee Trevino, or any number of other players.

How about Trevino's famous quote:

"You do not know what pressure is until you have played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket."

fleece_me
05-15-2004, 06:34 PM
You guys are idiots if you think anyone on the tour gambles to make ends meet.

Poker players do. They put up the cash and as long as the keep putting it up, its ethical for them to chop, make deals and trade points amongst themselves.

Sponsorship will never happen because the players are already gladly putting up the money, playing satellites and letting the card rooms rape them on entry fees.

Its a vicious cycle that will never end. Trying to make poker like golf is like trying to make a watermelon like a violin.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-16-2004, 12:48 PM
What? You honestly think the guys who have to play on Monday aren't trying to fleece other golfers to pick up cash.

Sponsorship will never happen

I'll agree that poker will never become exactly like golf for this very reason, but sponsorship money to create deeper prize pools is most definitely possible.