PDA

View Full Version : How did I play this week ace?

ZeeJustin
05-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Party Poker $200+15 NL SNG, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t1405)
Button (t3460)
SB (t855)
ZeeJustin (t3180)
UTG (t1100)

Preflop: ZeeJustin is BB with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, Button calls t100, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">ZeeJustin raises to t300</font>, Button calls t200.

Flop: (t650) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">ZeeJustin bets t400</font>, Button calls t400.

Turn: (t1450) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
ZeeJustin checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t500</font>, ZeeJustin calls t500.

River: (t2450) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
ZeeJustin checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t500</font>, ZeeJustin calls t500.

Final Pot: t3450
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t3450 (t3450), between Button and ZeeJustin.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by ZeeJustin (t3450).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Button shows 3h Th (two pair, tens and threes).
ZeeJustin shows 3c As (two pair, aces and threes).
Outcome: ZeeJustin wins t3450. </font>

Losing all
05-15-2004, 02:17 AM
Turn- You're still in very good shape here if you fold.

River- I checkraise his ass allin here. I understand that if he has a set or better aces up you'd still be 2nd in chips if you lose this, but I want to punish stupidity like this, to the fullest.

T0asty
05-17-2004, 04:48 AM
I liked the play, you were pretty much joint chip leaders, a lot of chips went into the pot but you didn't risk loseing most of your chips in it. I'm not a great player, so my opinion means little but I have one Q about you're play.

On the turn you gave control of the hand over to the other player,

Why did you do this, as you were willing to call a 500 bet why did you not bet 500 ? and

If he/she had gone for a bluff of 1k+ chips on the turn, would you have called / raised / folded ?

Thanks.

mjohnson406
05-17-2004, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

River- I checkraise his ass allin here. I understand that if he has a set or better aces up you'd still be 2nd in chips if you lose this

[/ QUOTE ]

Losing,

the Button has Hero covered. If Button has a set or a better 2 pair, Hero will be out of the tournament.

mackthefork
05-17-2004, 07:11 AM
People really play that bad at 200+15 level?

t_perkin
05-17-2004, 07:38 AM
Oh the joy of being out of position!

I reckon you either need to check PF or make a bigger bet. Many players will (i think corectly considering the stacks) call you with just about anything here. In which case your T300 bet is really not much use, you don't have a hand strong enough that you *want* a call, nor do you really have a hand strong enough that any (non exceptional) flop will give you a lot confidence to bet out of position.

Considering the still "small" size of the blinds I would have not played this way. You are turning defence of a blind worth one thirtieth of your stack into risking half your stack with with A3o out of position.

Do $200+15s often get down to five players by 50/100 blinds? This sounds like a pretty LAG game which gives you even more reason to sit tight.

just some thoughts

Tim

Jason Strasser
05-17-2004, 11:03 AM
I like the way it went until the turn. Your opponent probably has a similar baby ace, and at this point it is looking like this could be a split hand. I'd keep betting here. If you are going to check/call, why not lead out? I understand that you dont want to be reraised, but if you are reraised, isnt this an easy fold?

On the river I'd be tempted to push. You are likely ahead here. However, Check/call is fine yet weak.

fnurt
05-17-2004, 12:29 PM
I agree that I would have raised about T100 more preflop. Otherwise I would have played this hand exactly the same.

The people who want him to play more aggressively on the turn and river are missing the big picture. There are only two big stacks at the table and you are butting heads with the other one. In our hero's shoes, I would suspect I was ahead as well, but the fact is that you want a bigger edge than this before you go hogwild against the only stack that can hurt you.

MVicuna
05-17-2004, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the turn you gave control of the hand over to the other player,

Why did you do this, as you were willing to call a 500 bet why did you not bet 500 ? and If he/she had gone for a bluff of 1k+ chips on the turn, would you have called / raised / folded ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

If he bets, he only gets called by a better hand. Look at the texture of the flop. There are no draws, why would a big stack goto battle with another big stack on a runner runner draw or a gutshot?

If he checks, the button may make a play at the pot with hands that he beats and check behind on the river or bet on the river thinking his middle pair is good if he checks behind on the turn.

Its called inducing a bluff. Its risky, but if the hand is HU preflop top pair is usually good.

I think a reasonable player would not be wrong in folding if the button made a real bet at the pot. But T500 is to small of a bet.

And on the river T500 bet you have to call given you called the turn. You will be good here with 2 pair a lot times given the way the hand was played and the player type the button is.

MarkV.

ZeeJustin
05-17-2004, 05:55 PM
When a player plays a hand like this, I assume he is either trying to get me to fold since he has crap, or he's slowplaying a great hand. IOW, I think it's very unlikely that he will fold a better hand, or call with a worse one.

As it turns out, he has a smaller two pair, and probably would have called a turn all-in, but the 3 is very unlikely to make him 2 pair, and most players will generally bet more on the turn with a hand like 2 pair.

Edit: The argument that can be made for an all-in on the river is due to the fact that he limped preflop. I can see a bad player limping 33 or 55 here, but this would be a very very poorly played KJo, AA, QQ, or TT, and a fairly bad AT and AQ as well. I have some trouble putting players on hands in situations like this, because my opponents preflop play is clearly wrong regardless of his hand.