PDA

View Full Version : Do I call this river bet?

Blindfolk
05-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Button folds.

River: (10.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (12.50 BB).</font>

James Boston
05-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Just because the SB bet out when a king fell doesn't mean he has one. You should have raised the turn and based your future decisions on that. This is typical weak-tight thinking.

StellarWind
05-14-2004, 11:56 PM
It would be nice to know something about SB. A decent read could change my answer.

The most important thing to realize here is that you have asked the wrong question. You cannot spend a BB calling the turn, luck out in having everyone fold behind you, and then decide to fold the river. That makes no sense. It is a waste of a BB on the slim chance of rivering a jack.

The correct question is what to do about the turn. You have three logical choices: 1) fold or 2) call him down or 3) raise. Raising may be better than calling because you can drive out the people behind you who may be drawing to aces or small pairs. After you raise you can hope for a free showdown. If you get it you lose no more than you would by calling. SB is unlikely to reraise the turn if he only has a king because you could have AA/AK/KK. But he will call you down.

I would fold. By playing on you risk 2 BB to win about 10 BB. 5-1 odds. I don't think your chance of winning is that good. You need a parlay to win. First, SB must be bluffing--no king and no slowplayed big hand (set, straight). Second, everyone behind you must also not have a king or you lose anyway. That could easily be a 50-50 chance of disaster in its own right.

Why do we think SB is bluffing? Can he see your hand? Does he know that you are afraid of the king? Usually preflop raisers like kings. When was the last time you saw someone pull a stunt like this: bluffing into a preflop raiser and three other callers when a king hits? This is the 0.5/1 game and if he can bluff here he's either nuts or he deserves to win.

Fold the turn.

kiemo
05-15-2004, 12:06 AM
Funny thing is I agree with Stellar and I agree with James.

Well kinda.

Raise him or fold it. Calling gets you nowhere

Blindfolk
05-15-2004, 12:38 AM
No read on SB as of the time. Thanks for the advice.