PDA

View Full Version : Very general very basic question

ncskiier
05-14-2004, 08:22 PM
What general percentages of the pot do you like to bet in different situations.
i.e. I will bet 3 X bb if I flop a...
I'll throw out a pot size bet if I have TPTK
or whatever

mrbaseball
05-14-2004, 08:45 PM
I open with 3x bb pre ante and 4x bb post ante. The cards don't matter so I don't want to give away any information. So from me AA looks exactly the same as a 72o steal attempt. In the early rounds and in rebuy periods I will often limp though.

I typically will pot size anything and everything on the flop. I always try to make it look likee I am protecting my hand whether I really am, am on a draw or missed completely. But I will checkraise about 35% of the times I check whether I hit or missed if the situation and players involved warrant it. My goal is to never give away any information.

Tosh
05-15-2004, 02:51 AM
You simply cannot play by general rules. This is a skill game you need to adapt to situations and play accordingly.

trillig
05-15-2004, 04:36 AM
Totally agree with Tosh and add that I vary my BETTING greatly, so you really can't watch for that against me at all.

I won my last NLHE tourney with 114 combatants.

I have an experiment for you to grow on.

Enter a multi-table $5 or $10 NLHE tournament on your favorite site.

Your rules:

You can call people no problem. You can fold no problem. CHECKING is removed from your vocabulary.

But, if you want to bet or raise, you have to always bet half your stack or more.... ALWAYS...

Note how this play effects others.... and choose when you BET or RAISE carefully...

It should be fun and educational... and it's a cheap lesson!

Report back to me on how it goes.... 8)

-Bri

RPatterson
05-16-2004, 05:14 PM
If the pot is small I'll always bet the size of it, and if the pot is really big I'll bet more around 2/3rd so neither myself or my opponents will be pot commited. If 2/3rd would pot commit me then I go all-in. I don't think it's a good idea to vary the size of your bets based upon your hand.

Just today I was headsup at the end of a sit n go and this guy always bet 600 chips on a bluff, and varied it to different amounts when he had a hand. All I had to do was check it to him and raise back everytime he bet 600. Obviously that is a glaring problem but good players will pick up on smaller inconsistencies.