PDA

View Full Version : Elementary Question

Manzanita
05-14-2004, 07:48 PM
I have just started playing limit holdem tournaments and am only playing low buy-in ones as I learn the ropes. Here's a simple question regarding strategy that I have.

I'm the short-stack at the table; I have about T1800 with the blinds at T600-T300. My opponents are generally loose-passive. There are 2 limpers in front of me. In MP I have A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif. In a ring game I would usually raise in this situation but in this tournament I chose to just limp (in hopes of building a large pot at a minimum investment on my part). Is this the correct strategy?

BTW my results for the hand were mixed. On the positive side 6 players did see the flop for a single bet. But on the negative side I was outdrawn by a player with A9o who may have folded if I had raised pre-flop.

-- Manzanita

VarlosZ
05-16-2004, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In a ring game I would usually raise in this situation but in this tournament I chose to just limp (in hopes of building a large pot at a minimum investment on my part). Is this the correct strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]
Limit tournament play is not my forte, but I would think not. Any hand you play will have to played for all your chips (unless perhaps you're in the money and could profit by waiting for others to bust out), so you have to maximize your chance of winning it. Raise and hope for the best.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-16-2004, 02:11 PM
The blinds ate 300/600 meaning the limits are 600/1200. You have 1800. Whatever hand you choose to play, you must play for all your chips. AJs looks good to me, so raise and plan to call a reraise or bet out on the flop.