PDA

View Full Version : Any Misplay Here?

ThePopinjay
05-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 8.25 BB, between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO (8.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO shows 6s 2s (straight, six high).
Hero shows Kc Qs (straight, five high).
Outcome: CO wins 8.25 BB. </font>

Table was pretty loose. I contemplated limping but with KQo and my beautiful position on the button I felt I had to raise.

BottlesOf
05-14-2004, 07:43 PM
I'd raise the flop.

ThePopinjay
05-14-2004, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I ask why? With 4 players in, I dont think a bluff play's going to work. (That is a bluff play right?)

BottlesOf
05-14-2004, 07:59 PM
It's 10.5:1 when its your action, so you're not going to fold here. You've got basically the best overcards that you could have, although I don't know how much of a difference it makes. (A's being more likely to be tainted)

So now you have to decide between calling or raising. I like raising because, you may knock out the two remaining players, or make them much more likely to fold should they check to you on the turn. You are more likely to win the pot should one of your cards hit, and definitely more likely to win it, if one of them doesn't hit. Plus, depending on what the next card is, you may likely have the option of checking through and seeing the river for free. If you are 3-bet, or are bet into again on the turn. You have a better idea of where you stand and should have a clear decision. When playing a hand, I like to take control of it. It's important to be aggressive, and I think this is a good spot for it.

BottlesOf
05-14-2004, 08:03 PM
I've now looked at the results. Had you raised the flop, do you think he would have 3-bet you on the flop? Do you think he would have bet into you on the turn? How do you think he would've reacted to a bet on the turn?

ThePopinjay
05-15-2004, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've now looked at the results. Had you raised the flop, do you think he would have 3-bet you on the flop? Do you think he would have bet into you on the turn? How do you think he would've reacted to a bet on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would doubt a 3 bet on the flop. A bet on the turn would also probably get him to fold, although theres no telling what the CO had. I had considered betting on the turn except for the fact that I was worried about someone C-Ring me or calling down with an Ace because the flop is definetly one that Aces like to stay in on.

Randy Burgess
05-15-2004, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When playing a hand, I like to take control of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We hear this kind of talk all the time from the big poobahs - everyone from Doyle Brunson to Howard Lederer. But they're not playing $2/$4.

Bigger games reward stomping the gas pedal and not letting up, but small games with a very loose-passive texture have many spots where "taking control" with a raise is the worst thing you can do because of reverse implied odds, knocking out players who would have overcalled had you not raised, etc.

ThePopinjay says this game was "pretty loose." That being the case, the preflop raise was marginal to NE and a flop raise would have been even more so.

Would a turn bet by our hero would have folded the CO and his gutshot draw? Probably not. Anyone who plays 62s preflop is so loose he's not thinking much about his odds on the turn. And if he *were* thinking about his odds, he'd probably like them. Aside from the 4 outs for the gutshot, he's a likely winner if he hits either of his remaining Deuces or one of his Sixes. That gives him nine outs, more than enough to call if our hero bets.

Thomsen
05-15-2004, 10:44 AM
I dont think mr 2-6 would fold the turn...not on party 2/4.

I think it is better to fold KQ o preflop after limpers.

This hand, muck it on the flop, why get into a mess with so many possible holdings that beat you.