PDA

View Full Version : Broken laptop screen - is it repairable ?

Tosh
05-14-2004, 06:16 PM
I've got a laptop with a shattered screen. The actual glass is intact but whatever generates the picture behind it is totally messed up. Is it possible to get these screens replaced and if so how much would it generally cost ?

If its not possible could I at least retrieve all of the data on the hard drive ?

Cubswin
05-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Im thinking it will cost around $500 to get it fixed....at least thats what dell told me when the backlight on my decided to quit working 1 month after the warrenty expired. Hook the computer up to an external monitor and you should be able to work with it.

regards
cubswin

Tosh
05-14-2004, 06:32 PM
As long as its repairable I will get it done. In the meantime though how could I hook up a monitor ?

Cubswin
05-14-2004, 07:08 PM
There should be a port in the back that you can use to hook up to a monitor. Hopefully your laptop will auto recognize the fact that there is a monitor connected to the laptop and it will come on during start up. If not you have to get into the control panel and change your monitor settings. Connect the monitor and see if it automaticly comes up on start up... if it doesnt this might get a little harder... how much of your monitor can you see? When my backlight went out a was barely able to see the screen but i was able to get into the control a panel. If you cant see the screen at all you might have to hot key (im not sure if that is the right word) into control panel because your mouse will be of little use.

regards
cubswin

Chief911
05-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Tosh,

As a side note, whats your PP user? Think I saw you today in a MTT.

Regarding the laptop. There is a connection in the back of 95% of laptops that you can hook a monitor up to. If it does not automatically project to the monitor, you'll have to press the FN key (Usually bottom left part of your keyboard) adn F8 (for a dell) or FN + one of your function keys that is a LCD to Monitor switch, which will change the output to your monitor instead of your LCD.

As for fixing it, its probably not fixable if its shattered, so I would look on Ebay.com for replacement screens. They are pretty easy to find/install.

Let me know if any questions.

Nick
aka Chief911

Tosh
05-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have hooked it up with a monitor. I'm going to have to buy a new laptop and access whether its worth the money to get it fixed.

Tosh
05-14-2004, 07:24 PM
My name is Tosh1984 on Party and Tosh27o on other sites.

I guess a new screen is what I meant as its so messed up I can't see it being fixed. As long as it isn't too expensive I would get a new screen.

GrannyMae
05-14-2004, 08:09 PM
I'm going to have to buy a new laptop and access whether its worth the money to get it fixed.

i've said this before but it bears repeating. when you get your new one, buy the extended warranty on the display. they offer laptop display-only warrantys that are not a ripoff like the regular extendeds.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/lamer.gif

Cubswin
05-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Where the phuck were you when i bought mine granny? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Good advice....especially if you intend to lug it all over the house. The other day i almost had a bad accident while playing on the porcelain thrown....but thats a whole other story.