PDA

View Full Version : PokerStars $3 rebuy qualifier hand

colson10
05-14-2004, 04:31 PM
This hand was from the $3 rebuy qualifier tourny to get into the sunday $200+15. I was in about 55th place out of 70 people left, final 9 players received seats. I thought it was an interesting hand and wanted to see what you guys thought of my play.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed)

CO (t14960)
Button (t11055)
SB (t1830)
Hero (t6515)
UTG (t12425)
UTG+1 (t5080)
MP1 (t35945)
MP2 (t23223)
MP3 (t1937)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t400, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t400, MP3 calls t400, CO folds, Button calls t400, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t800</font>, Hero calls t400, UTG+1 calls t400, MP2 calls t400, MP3 calls t400, Button calls t400.

Flop: (t4600) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t1005 (All-In)</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t5690</font>...

comments?

Nemesis
05-14-2004, 04:34 PM
all in on a gut shot when your opponent has no chance to fold?

whiskeytown
05-14-2004, 04:54 PM
you barely have pot odds, if that....and then you're pushing all in on a gutshot, and quite frankly, it looks like a bluff

If I had an overpair, I'd call....this strikes me as too overaggressive -

RB

BettnTibetn
05-14-2004, 06:36 PM
with your chip stack i would not even call the 400 preflop!!!! just wait till you get something decent and go all in preflop

colson10
05-14-2004, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I had an overpair, I'd call....this strikes me as too overaggressive -

[/ QUOTE ]

The only person who could have an overpair is the sb, who is all in already. But when you consider that he could just as easily have two over cards, look at all those chips in the pot.

colson10
05-14-2004, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with your chip stack i would not even call the 400 preflop!!!! just wait till you get something decent and go all in preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that with my small stack it is certainly a questionable call, but I think in this situation, after I post the bb, ~15 bbs isn't that much different than 14 bbs, and if i flop something I have good opportunity to more than double up considering all the chips put in preflop.

Stoneii
05-14-2004, 07:04 PM
but you have 9 high!!!

colson10
05-14-2004, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but you have 9 high!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, good point, but if he has two over cards I not only have a gut shot, but 2 live cards to make a pair, in which case i have 10 outs...Now look at all those chips in the pot.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-14-2004, 07:27 PM
OK.

This is going to sound a little cynical, and perhaps offend someone who spent a lot of time on the converter... But I don't find the converter to make hands BETTER reads than if you were to just say it in your own words. It's all just shorthand, compressing TOO MUCH info into TOO SMALL a space, especially in large multiway hands. Why repeat "calls T400" five times?

Second, this is a $3 tournament. They are unnatural, and unrealistic as far as anything I would consider to be real poker. That is why the internet plays so much differently than live poker. It's unnatural, unrealistic, and totally impersonal. Just play live with blinders on and earplugs in and you'll see what I mean.

All that being said...

It's a huge pot already, and you're pushing it all in with four, perhaps three outs, when there are still a ton of players left. I don't like the play. Why did you even call, and thus put yourself into this situation preflop? Just fold and be done with it.

al

Greg (FossilMan)
05-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Colson PM'ed me, and asked for my advice on this post. I had ignored it, as advice usually isn't that relevant for a $3 buyin tourney. People do silly enough things in the $200 buyin events. For $3, they'll reraise all-in with 23o, expecting you to call, just so they might experience the thrill of sucking out on AA.

The preflop call is undisputedly correct. He's likely to be getting 11:1 on the call with connectors. The only good reason to fold is if there is too strong a chance that somebody else limp-reraises, and forces hero to fold after putting in the extra T400.

The SB is clearly a moron, whatever his cards. Mini-raising there, with that stack size? Totally stupid, or a misclick. Thus, being a dork, there is no reason to think that hero doesn't have pot odds to stick around for the flop bet, and as Colson said, if he's going to stick around, maybe he should reraise all-in, get rid of everyone else, and possibly pick up quite a few more outs.

However, this is only the right move if there's reason to believe it will work the large majority of the time. Which, in a $3 event, it won't.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

colson10
05-15-2004, 07:12 PM
thanks for the response Greg,
I agree that the sb was a moron for min raising no matter what he held. I also agree that this was a rare situation that would probably not come up in any meaningful tournament.
You said, "this is only the right move if there is reason to believe it will work the majority of the time. Which, in a $3 event, it won't." You're right in that the players in these are willing to gamble quite a bit, but from the way my table had been playing I was very confident that the worst hand that would call me would be top pair.
FWIW, everyone folded, sb turned over AQd, for a flush draw, turn and river were no help to me and he took it down. Anyways, thanks for the responses guys.

colson10