PDA

View Full Version : c/r semi bluff attempt...

tolbiny
05-14-2004, 02:02 PM
20+2 party sng, lvl 3 blinds 25/50. 7 players left,
utg +1 T1900
utg +2 T700
sb T700
BB (hero) T775

Utg +1 raises T100 (min raise)
Utg +2 calls
sb calls
hero (bb) calls with K6o

flop 5,7,8r

sb checks,
bb checks,
utg+1 bets 50, utg +2 calls, sb folds, hero calls
pot T550
turn 3 putting 2 hearts on the board
hero checks, utg+1 bets T225, utg+2 folds
hero raises all-in (T670)
like?
no like?

Prickly Pete
05-14-2004, 02:08 PM
preflop - no like
flop - like
turn - no like

Even though 50 is cheap, a hand like K6o can often lead to the trouble you had here. And your stack isn't big enough to piss away even 50 on these hands.

On the turn, your semi-bluff now only has 1 chance to improve, really reducing your outs. With the pot size and utg+1's stack-size, he probably will call with most decent hands. You'll push him off of high cards I guess, but I think I'd just surrender here.

fnurt
05-14-2004, 02:16 PM
This is a bit too much gambling for my taste. One big reason it is not an optimal situation is that you have no particular hand you can represent. If the turn card had completed a draw then your bet would be much scarier.

Win or lose, it's worth thinking about how you trapped yourself on this hand. You had a crappy hand but made the cheap pre-flop call, no doubt thinking about the 8-1 odds. Then on the flop you were again sucked along by the cheap bet. Now both of these might well have been the right decision, but the thing is, if you decide to play a hand because it's cheap you need to be able to keep it cheap unless you really get hit hard. It seems like you had this "keep it cheap" mentality right up until the bets got too big for you to call cheaply, then you decided it was a great time to pull a fancy move. Without any sign of weakness by your opponent this is the style of play that will end you up on the rail before long.