PDA

View Full Version : I'm 2/3 of the way to my bankroll!

toots
05-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Ok, I know I've sworn that I won't play online for real money. In fact, I wasn't so sure I was even going to play the play money tables. But, I broke down and started doing those.

It's just that Paradise Poker gave me a "free" $2 a while back so that I can play at the "real money" tables. (For very small values of money).

So far, I've worked that up to about $8.50 on the $.02/$.04 tables. Another $3.50, and I have my "300 BB" bankroll, for which I have not paid a cent of my own money.

One comment, one question.

Comment: After the play money tables, it's interesting to see how much more seriously the people play, even when it's just for pennies.

Question: After making my $12 "bankroll" for $.02/$.04, when do I move up to $.05/$.10? When I've got the full 300 BB $30, or sooner, dropping back to $.02/.04 when I drop below $12?

It's still play money to me, and I really don't spend much time with it, but I do find it interesting to see how much I'll be able to accumulate without ever having made a deposit to the account.

bisonbison
05-14-2004, 02:02 PM
More power to you if you can build a roll. Basically, I would not move up levels unless I had 200 BB for the new level. The patience will pay off in the long run.

Nemesis
05-14-2004, 03:41 PM
i'd take 2 dollars and try a .5/.10 game play tight if you lose it it's only 2 bucks and you still have a huge roll fro the smaller game. If you win then you're on your way. I started with 20 bucks and played the .5/.10 up to like 60 or 70 then tested the .5/1.00 and got lucky a few times my BR was up to 600 but i cashed out 200 and hit a bad run when i tested an even higher limit (my own stupidity) So i'm sitting arround 200 now from a 20 dollar investment. Also use Netteller and deposit bonuses at other sites to your advantage.

deacsoft
05-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Bison's advice of 200BB is sound, but I like to stick to the books and the 300BB rule. However, this is coming from someone who started with around $30 at .50/1.00. I think if you play the right kind of poker this is possible but is not, by any means, recomended. After my start of around $30 I have not moved up without at least 300BB of the next level.

toots
05-16-2004, 12:53 PM
Well, two more dollars of winnings later, I'm at about $10.50 and within a buck fiddy of making my hyper-micro limit $.02/.04 bankroll.

Which in the grander scheme of things is entirely trivial, but like I said, my goal has been to see how far I can go without making any personal investment other than my time.

And, thanks for the advice, 'cause I think I'll take it - namely that I think I'll stick at $.02/.04 until I have a real $.05/.10 BR.

Other questions:

1) I'm still kind of (really) new at Hold Em. Have logged a few dozen hours in B&Ms, and a bit over 2000 hands in microlimits, plus a few more thousand hands in play money and hundreds of hours in TTH. I've tried multitabling, but the game's still new enough that this isn't going to be a good strategy for me.

When should I consider SNGs? (I've also logged a bunch of hours play money and Tournament TTH.) Looks like the buy-in is high enough that I really don't want to be considering them until I've got a BR for much higher limits.

2) Should I even bother with any of the other multitable micro-limit tournaments?

3) Since my old game of choice was 7 Stud, and considering that even with recent practice, I still probably suck at the game, what sort of variance/BR requirements do you think I should be using if I want to spend time playing this game?