PDA

View Full Version : What could I have done?

esbesb
05-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Can anyone suggest anything I could have done differently here?

Only about four hands into a small live tourney, I get KK UTG. Blinds 50/100 everyone has a stack of about 4000.

I come out with raise of 400. Player immediately to my left calls -- everyone else folds.

Flop comes 10, 8, 2 rainbow. I bet 500. he calls. Turn brings a 7. I bet 1000. He calls. River brings a 4. I now go all in with my last 2000 or so. He calls. He turns over AA and I am out.

Is this just a case of KK meeting the dreaded AA and there's nothing you can do? Anyone who would have checked the turn and folded to a big bet? Is there anything else I could have done to "put him on" aces? I kept betting into him because while I figured a set was a possibility, I thought he might just as easily have JJ or QQ.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Nemesis
05-14-2004, 04:02 PM
most people who are calling BIG raises with nothing apparent on the board have something in their hands. I don't know if you could have put him on AA, but there's a good probability you could put him on a hand that beats your overpair something like 2 pair or better.

bingledork
05-14-2004, 04:06 PM
I would have bet more on the flop.
That way, you get all your money in sooner, so you'll bust out quicker.

Jason Strasser
05-14-2004, 04:27 PM
This is a bad beat story. You can really not lay this hand down. Sometimes, you just run into the better hand. However, the pot has 950 in it, and you severly underbet it on the flop, why? you are inviting the QJ to call, or the pocket 4s to see the next card cheap. You have to bet the pot, or close to it here. Other than that, you just ran into a good hand, move on.

esbesb
05-14-2004, 11:41 PM
thank you for this good advice. You are right. I did, in retrospect, severely underbet the flop.