PDA

View Full Version : Milk the pot?

tolbiny
05-14-2004, 12:22 PM
20+2 sng on party. Second hand so everyone has around T800 chips. blinds 10/15
UTG raises to T30, Three coldcallers to me with TT. I call, floded around to the BB who calls. 6 in the pot for T190.

Flop T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, utg bets out T200, all three limpers call (who said these games are getting tougher?)

Actions on you with T770 left and a T990 chip pot.

Options:
1. smooth call with the intention of going all-in on the turn if the turn if no /images/graemlins/heart.gif or Sr8 card comes. Otherwise make your decision based on the action.

2. Push all in- why the hell not you have the best hand right now.

3. make a small raise - trying to get as much money in the pot from a hand like AT or T9?

fnurt
05-14-2004, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't wait to see the turn card since probably half the deck completes some draw or another. I'd push all-in right now and put the draws to the test.

woodguy
05-14-2004, 01:37 PM
tolbiny,
I'd smooth call and see if a scare card comes.
Alot of people would have a problem with this, but I have been drawn out too many times after pushing a flopped set on a 2 to a flush/straight board.
If you push now draws have 2 chances to hit their card and there are LOTS of players at this level who will take that chance (I think the effective odds are 42%, someone correct me if I am wrong)
I like to see the turn as more draws will lay down with only 1 more card to come.

regards,
woodguy

M.B.E.
05-14-2004, 01:57 PM
First, you have a set. You want draws to call. Just calling and folding on the turn if a flush or straight card comes is a terrible idea because, among other things, you're giving up the chance to hit your ten-out redraw.

Prickly Pete
05-14-2004, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd smooth call and see if a scare card comes.
Alot of people would have a problem with this, but I have been drawn out too many times after pushing a flopped set on a 2 to a flush/straight board.
If you push now draws have 2 chances to hit their card and there are LOTS of players at this level who will take that chance (I think the effective odds are 42%, someone correct me if I am wrong)
I like to see the turn as more draws will lay down with only 1 more card to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet that I milk pots more than most on this forum would suggest doing, but this doesn't seem like a good spot to me. Are you suggesting calling off T200 (with the current nuts) and folding to any bet when a 6,7,8,J,Q,K or heart comes on the turn?

Raise allin here - there's a ton in the pot already and only give a shot to the one foolish guy who calls your allin, rather than 4 or 5, who probably will draw out on you if you just smooth call.

Stoneii
05-14-2004, 02:03 PM
too passive imo

Have to charge draws to make their hand. If they score, c'est la vie, they made the wrong move and got lucky.

I say this but the river has been crucifying me over this last week/10 days, I mean destroying me /images/graemlins/frown.gif

stoneii

tolbiny
05-14-2004, 02:14 PM
There are two ways to milk the pot here though, calling and also making a small raise. I like making a small raise here because of the three cold callers. I think it is likely that Utg has either a big pair or two overcards, and while he is folding his overcards to an all-in he may call a small raise with AK with one heart, where he is drawing very very thin. the other limpers one of them mostlikely has a flush draw and is calling, it is the other two that i want to milk from. getting an extra bet from someone with A9o would be nice.

Prickly Pete
05-14-2004, 02:24 PM
If they called the first bet, yes they'll probably call a small raise. But you'll also have at least someone on a flush draw and quite possibly an openender and a gutshot draw that you are not punishing enough for their draw. Make em pay.

woodguy
05-14-2004, 03:23 PM
You're right, you have to make the draws pay, and the rasie will also thin the herd so that the 3rd or 4th best hand doesnt' complete the str8.
This particular situation is a pet-peeve of mine due to the draws beating me more often than not lately, and those thoughts have clouded my thoughts /images/graemlins/mad.gif
As usual NL actions should be bet/raise/fold, not call.
Good Posts
regards,
woodguy