PDA

View Full Version : Two K-Q hands, one suited one not

chief444
05-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Here's a couple of more interesting hands (hopefully more interesting than my last couple anyway /images/graemlins/smile.gif). I expect there will be some criticism of the river fold in hand one and hopefully some comments on hand 2 as well. These hands were actually back-to-back.

Hand 1

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(8 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero bets, UTG+2 folds, CO calls, Button raises, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, CO bets, Button calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

If not for the caller I would have called the river. Button was a decent player and I don't think would have called with a hand I beat.

Hand 2:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero raises, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, CO raises, Hero 3-bets, CO calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, CO folds.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

CO (button player described in hand 1) was capable of folding a decent hand.

sin808
05-14-2004, 12:03 PM
hand 1- why no pf raise?

chief444
05-14-2004, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hand 1- why no pf raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I was wondering the same thing when I looked back at the hand. Normally I would. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

submariner
05-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Hand 1- I have never raised this PF, but it seems everyone else does, so I'll have to start trying it.

Hand 2- I understand raising KQs, is KQo, especially from EP, really a raising hand? Also, why the 3-bet on the flop with 3rd-nut flush draw? Is that because you were heads up and wanted to make sure he wasn't semibluffing? Or would you have done it multiway also? I understand wanting to get as much money in when multiway on a flush draw, is the fact that it was Q-high a consideration?

Thanks

chief444
05-14-2004, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand raising KQs, is KQo, especially from EP, really a raising hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be more likely to limp with KQs than KQo. KQs plays far better multiway. KQo is a decent hand even multiway but is a pretty strong hand in short-handed pots. Plus if you are in a tighter game the raise will often get one or two aces to fold. Would you call an early postion raise with A-Jo? Would you call an early position raise from a TAG player with A-Qo? Maybe after you read this post. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Also, why the 3-bet on the flop with 3rd-nut flush draw? Is that because you were heads up and wanted to make sure he wasn't semibluffing?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he wasn't a decent player capable of laying a better hand down I wouldn't have. He was a fairly T/AG player. He probably had one pair on the flop and was hoping I had overcards. I was hoping he had one pair (or a weaker draw) and I decided to represent an overpair. I saw this as a semibluff because it was very likely my flush outs were good (and possibly my overcards as well).

[ QUOTE ]
Or would you have done it multiway also?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Multiway changes everything.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand wanting to get as much money in when multiway on a flush draw, is the fact that it was Q-high a consideration?

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't see it as a value bet at all. It was solely a semibluff being in a heads up sitiation. In a multiway pot I would not even chase a Q-high flush, much less value bet or semibluff with it.

This hand could probably be played (or not played) in a variety of ways, each with minimal difference in EV.

submariner
05-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply, gives me a lot to think about. Some much of it depends on knowing your opponent, and thats what I'm worst at.
What you said about KQo vs KQs makes a lot of sense, too.