PDA

View Full Version : Tony's tight table theory.

Tony Corbett
05-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Recently there have been a number of posts bemoaning the fact that the games on Party are getting tougher. People are asking where have all the poor players gone? There are several factors to explain why the games are getting tougher but what follows is one that is often overlooked.

To help explain my theory imagine Tony opening his very own online poker room called "The Aquarium". On any given night there are a 100 players at the tables. The players can be
split into two basic groups, winnners and losers. On average there are 20 winners and 80 losers playing. Now the software only allows players to sit at one table at a time so we have ten tables each with 2 winners and 8 losers.

The losers are having fun, the winners are making money and Tony collects the rake. Everyone is happy. The winners however would like to make more money and suggest Tony upgrade the software so they can play two tables at once. Tony being the nice guy that he is gives his customers what they want and now players can play two tables at once. The winners start playing two tables to win more money but the losers stick to playing one table because they don't want to lose money quicker.

This results in 20 winners x 2 tables = 40 virtual winners sat at the tables along with the same 80 losers increasing the number of tables to 12 with each table having 3-4 winners and 6-7 losers.

The losers are still having fun, the winners are making more money (although not quite as much as they thought they would) and Tony, well Tony is not a happy bunny he spent a fortune on the upgrade and thought he'd nearly double his revenue but it's only increased by 20% and he's seen a shiny new car he'd like to buy.

Tony decides to gamble on another upgrade and now players can play on 4 tables at once. The winners see this as an excellent opportunity to make even more money and start playing 4 tables the losers didn't read the pop up screening telling them of the new feature and stick to playing one table.

This results in 20 winners x 4 tables = 80 virtual winners and the same 80 losers spread over 16 tables each with 5 winners and 5 losers.

The losers aren't having as much fun as before because too many players are taking the game too seriously and don't chat. The winners are moaning that the games are getting tougher and are wondering where all the losers have gone and Tony picks the car up Monday.

To briefly sum up Tony's theory states that the ability to multitable creates a situation where the number of good players at a limit is increased in relation to the number of poor players thereby making the games tougher than they otherwise would be.
I realise that the toughening of the games is more complex than the above but Tony's theory is an important piece of the puzzle.

Finally a question: Which sites only allow one table at a time and what are those games like?

TTFN

fluff
05-14-2004, 11:41 AM
I think your analysis is very good, and probably is a major factor for some of the precieved "tightness".

[ QUOTE ]
Finally a question: Which sites only allow one table at a time and what are those games like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Pacific Poker only allows 1 table at a time, and it is easily the biggest fish pond on the net.

Gamblor
05-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Don't forget TruePoker, another virtual aquarium.

dogmeat
05-14-2004, 02:01 PM
This is a good story and theory for the somewhat tighter games we have been experiencing. There will also be a shakeout of the borderline players, many of whom post here, that will find they no longer are +EV, even with the bonuses, and they will eventually have to go back to their classes with a little more drive and finish their degrees, and the older ones will reduce their number of hours played until they completely lose interest. With hope, this is only a small segment of the playing populace. Dogmeat

Oski
05-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Great post! I suppose the key is to find one table sites and play at more than one of them at a time. Of course, this could create a software problem.

TimM
05-14-2004, 03:27 PM
I agree with this. On Party it seems that everybody I have a Poker Tracker generated note on is a tight and usually winning player, and most all of these are multi-table players.

Lazymeatball
05-14-2004, 03:31 PM
You are neglecting action junkies who like to multitable also, and tend to be more aggressive. The fish can be just as impatient in waiting for their hands as the pros.

Prickly Pete
05-14-2004, 04:20 PM
True. Multi-tabling came before winning for me.

namknils
05-14-2004, 05:03 PM
This is an interesting theory, something I didn't think of. Although I do tend to do a player search (at Party) on the players at my table to see who is multitabling and tend to assume they know more of what they are doing than the others.

TruePoker CEO
06-06-2004, 10:42 PM
We welcome players of all skill levels, real or imagined, and provide a relaxed, social atmosphere for play. If that attracts and keeps a higher mix of "social" players than other sites, that certainly doesn't hurt more skilled players' chances.

Truepoker CEO