PDA

View Full Version : 200$ SnG / Chipleader / what would you do?

DocHollyday
05-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Blinds are 25/50, Hero's stack is 3340. BB stack is 2600, 6 players remaining.

Hero has the SB and gets dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Folded to him, he raises to 100. BB calls.

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets 100, BB calls.

Turn: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero bets 200, BB goes all-in. What's your move? Results to follow.

blackaces13
05-14-2004, 09:09 AM
I think you have to fold it. You've got a lot of chips and it looks almost certain the BB has a flush.

tommy2
05-14-2004, 09:36 AM
I'd fold. I don't know about this level, but at the levels I play this is exactly how the flush draw player plays. Heck, I have even seen people pop out a 5 6o in situations like this. I'd save my powder.

woodguy
05-14-2004, 10:06 AM
What hand do you have him on?
FWIW with his call of a 4XBB (3XBB call) it could be JJ, QQ, or even KQs, KJs.
(with KK or AA, probably would have pushed PF)
If he is a weak player or a big gambler, he may have A5s.
I would make his move if I was protecting my K high flush against the naked A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, or he might be protecting a set or overpair, but you would expect him to start protecting those hands on the flop with 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on board and he just called.
Very close call, too early to risk alot of chips.
If he's good, he has the flush, if he's not, probably an overpair or a set. If he has A5s and called your PF bet, then you will beat him eventually anyhow.
regards,
woodguy

37offsuit
05-14-2004, 10:09 AM
What it comes down to is that you're behind to a lot of hands here. What are you willing to risk your tournament on?

I would have limped with this, and checked it on the flop, folded it to a reasonable bet. On this flop, you're chasing and even if you catch you have no idea whether you're hand is good. That's what put you in this spot where you have T400 invested. At this point, I'd only have T50 invested and this would be an easy fold.

Ask yourself this question: In relationship to the other stacks, what kind of hand would he be willing to risk his tournament on by pushing, given your actions so far and the fact that you have him covered?

If you were going for a blind steal preflop, bet more. If you were betting for value...pick a better hand to do it with, imo.

woodguy
05-14-2004, 10:11 AM
n/m

ClemsonAce
05-14-2004, 10:23 AM
I agree w/ 37offsuit on this situation, you are way behind if he has a flush already, he may have a higher straight, or he may have a set and then go on to make a full house. I think you have no choice but to lay it down at this stage in the tourney.

DocHollyday
05-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all your answers fellows.

I expected what they were like and it just makes it more clear that I made a huge mistake, considering stage, stack sizes, remaining players etc. So I called with my straight and he showed Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I received no help and was crippled pretty much.

I keep on working! Good luck to all of you! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

fnurt
05-14-2004, 10:46 AM
In my opinion the mistake here was the minimum raise pre-flop. Your probably have the best hand, make him pay for a chance to beat you. When you make a minimum raise you give him odds to call with just about anything.

David Steele
05-14-2004, 11:06 AM
That's what put you in this spot where you have T400 invested At this point, I'd only have T50 invested and this would be an easy fold

What you have personally "invested" in a hand is irrelavent.

The real problem, as you also mention, is that his bets were not large enough.

D.

ZeeJustin
05-14-2004, 02:55 PM
A) your raise preflop is too small.
B) Your bet on the flop is too small.
C) You have an EASY all-in call on the turn (note that I'm saying this despite the fact that the results say I'm wrong).

Considering you have a pretty spicy redraw, you would need to be very very confident that he has the flush in order to make this laydown.

ZeeJustin
05-14-2004, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he's good, he has the flush

[/ QUOTE ]

He played his flush very poorly IMO.

ZeeJustin
05-14-2004, 02:58 PM
A lot of people are saying stuff like, "it's too early to risk your chips." This might be a proper line of thinking for the $10 SNG's, but it is not for the $200 SNG's, especially with 6 people left. Do not forget he also still has a stack to work with if he loses, but will be able to push everyone around if he wins.

AJo Go All In
05-14-2004, 06:04 PM
i don't understand most of the responses in this thread. i would qualmlessly call this bet and expect to be ahead, and if i'm not, i have a redraw to the nuts. i'm playing for 1st, not 3rd.

William
05-14-2004, 11:16 PM
I agree with everything justin says here.
I would expect to be ahead on the turn here. Normally if he has hit 2 pairs or TPTK, he would make a big raise in the turn. The flush is just an accident, if he has it, oh well... but normally he doesn't.

William

DocHollyday
05-17-2004, 05:38 AM
Hi Aj,

Ok, it's a kind of relief, that two experienced 200sng players like you and ZeeJustin agreed with my move. I really started thinking I did the wrong thing, but your reasoning makes sense.

By the way, was cool to play against you in one of my last 200 SNG's. I hope you won that one....

Cheers and until the next time...

ZeeOne

AJo Go All In
05-17-2004, 09:04 AM
i'm not that experienced, giving htese a try, a little burnt out from party 15. i've played about 150 SNGS.

i took 2nd in that one we played.

DocHollyday
05-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Thx for your reply Zee,

I see that I although made a couple of mistakes preflop and flopwise seen. My problem is, that I usually only play limit, and sometimes I don't know exactly, how much to bet in these 200 SNG, but anyways, it has been worse...

To what you mentioned in C). How can you be confident enough to put BB exactly on a flush? In a live game may be, but online? Pretty tough, plus my nutflush redraw. As longer as I think about it, the more I am sure to have done the right thing.

Thx Zee, and may be cu in the next 200SNG /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TylerD
05-17-2004, 11:04 AM
I'd call in an instant, reasoning that if he had the flush his raise wouldn't be an all-in one, but would be a "milking" raise. The fact that you have the nut flush draw as well makes the call a no brainer IMO.