PDA

View Full Version : Yankees will stay at Top of Standings for the rest of the season.

ChristinaB
05-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Well, maybe for a net total of 20 days they will relinquish the lead.

Does anyone doubt that the Yankees will finish in first place?

All is right in the World once again. (except in Iraq)

andyfox
05-14-2004, 12:00 PM
I am a Yankee fan, so don't accuse me of being part of the Red Sox nation.

I think the Yankees have no chance of staying ahead of the Red Sox this year. Their starting pitching, always the strength of the team is weak. Keivn Brown is 39 years old; Mike Mussina hasn't pitched well since 2002; Vazquez looks like a number 3 pitcher; Lieber looks like he'll be OK; but who's number 5 (Contreras is in the minors)? While their lineup is strong, Giambi, Williams, and Sheffield (probably because of his thumb injury) appear to be weaker hitters than they were a few years ago. Ruben Sierra won't stay hot all year.

I'd really be surprised if they win the division and missing the playoffs entirely appears possible.

B-Man
05-14-2004, 12:07 PM
I doubt the Yankees will finish in first place.

The Red Sox have been playing without 2 of their top 4 or 5 hitters, Nomar and Trot, all season. Both are due back soon. They will be a huge boost to an offense that has been sluggish.

I think both teams will make the playoffs, but this year the Red Sox will prevail.

Uston
05-14-2004, 03:54 PM
I think the Yankees have no chance of staying ahead of the Red Sox this year.

Good one, Andy. Any chance at all that the Cubs don't make the WS this year?

I'd really be surprised if they win the division and missing the playoffs entirely appears possible.

Who will prevent them from winning the wildcard? Texas? Minnesota?

If the Yankees aren't on pace for 100 wins at the All-Star break, you can bet that you'll be seeing Al Leiter or Randy Johnson in pinstripes within weeks. Geez, I hate the Yankees.