PDA

View Full Version : Pot odds or calling station?

Materazzi
05-14-2004, 07:58 AM
I was playing LHE 3/6 last night on vcpoker. I was in the big blind with 7-8 os. There were a couple of limpers, then it came to the button who raised it. I called the one bet( right or wrong?), the two limpers folded, and I was heads up. The flop came 9-8-3, I decided he had raised with high cards, so I checked, he raised I re-raised he called. With this, I knew I was leading. The turn was a low card so I bet again, he called. The river was a Q, I shouldve checked but he re-raised me and I called, sure enough he had KQ. I didnt question why he had called right to the river. A short time later he was involved with another hand that he had raised preflop, with just one caller. The flop came Q-Q-9, he raised and was re-raised and again just called. The turn was another 9, again he called a raise. The river came 9. He re-raised, and lucky for him he had made quad 9's against the Q-9 full house. His comment was 'I thought you had the Q'. After this comment I had to ask why, if he thought he was beat, he chased down to the river. He couldnt believe my question and stated pot odds justified his actions, citing his opponent could be bluffing,as well as calling me a 'rookie'. His claim is, if he chases, and makes his hand 1 time in 5, he can make it pay. Now to me he was drawing to one card if he thought the other guy had the Q. Am I right in saying, he didnt have the pot odds to justify his call? Or am I just thinking like a rookie? I have only been playing the game for 10 months. I have read all the books, Sklanksy theory, super system, it seems to me this is a losing play. Can anyone comment on this, because I am puzzled.

Cheers.

PairTheBoard
05-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Did you consider the possibility that he might be lying?

PairTheBoard

Ed Miller
05-15-2004, 04:49 AM
Did you consider the possibility that he might be lying?

Did you consider the possibility that he might have no idea even remotely what he is talking about?

Materazzi
05-15-2004, 06:08 PM
This is why I posted. I need proper feedback, so come on people put me right. Is he lying or is he correct? By the way there was one person agreeing with him. Maybe they were colluding, I dont' know. Help please!

daryn
05-15-2004, 09:09 PM
if he put the guy on the Q, he is drawing to 1 card in the deck like you said, and of course he doesn't have the pot odds.

the real question here is if he is making bad calls why would you attempt to call it to his attention, even if he tried to defend himself.

PairTheBoard
05-16-2004, 03:40 AM
My thought is that he was lying when he said that he figured his opponent for a Queen. Fact is he thought his 99's were good on the flop and his trip nines were good on the turn. After he get's lucky with quads and his opponent shows the queen what better way to put him on tilt that to claim he knew he had the queen all along. Might such a lie upset his opponent? Well, yea. It even upset somebody who wasn't even in the hand. Why in the world would you believe anything a Poker Player says?

PairTheBoard