PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

joker122
05-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Two questions:

-Why do you all play single table tourney's instead of ring games? In other words what do you think the pros and cons are?

-What % of tournaments do you expect to finish in the money? What % do you expect to win?

I'm a regular poster in the small stakes forum as small stakes is my regular game. Just yesterday I decided to buy in to a $50 single table limit tourney. I finished 3rd. I tried 1 more and got knocked out early and I won my 3rd attempt. If I can sustain this win rate I'll show a considerably better profit than my usual 2 tabling at the ring games. This is, however, an inconsequential sample size.

Basically, I'm trying to learn more about this beast and see if it's for me. Any advice you have to offer would be appreciated.

Kaz The Original
05-13-2004, 10:29 PM
A fairly normal result for many people seems to be 40% Return on Investment and 40% In The Money. (ROI and ITM respectively).

unfrgvn
05-14-2004, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two questions:

-Why do you all play single table tourney's instead of ring games? In other words what do you think the pros and cons are?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the tournies for 3 main reasons:
My ring game play sucks.
There is a definite end where you know you've either won or lost. Forces me to concentrate and play my best game for the 45 minutes or so of the tournie. In ring games I tend to get bored and play too many hands. In tournies I can gain equity by not playing a hand as long as other players are going out.
I can learn the opponets. In ring games as soon as I get a read on a player he leaves the table.

ClemsonAce
05-14-2004, 09:58 AM
From reading your post, I saw that you played limit sng's. Most people that post play NL sng's as they feel that they provide a higher ROI. I suggest playing in a few $10 NL sng's and seeing how you perform in those, I think you will find that the competition is pretty easy in those events.

As for me, I prefer tournament style play over a ring game so that's why I play them plus its a consistent way to build my bankroll while playing MTT's.

Oh, be sure and post hands that you have any questions about during a sng because you can get great advice from everyone on here about how to handle that situation.

good luck.