PDA

View Full Version : Your standard monster flop: nut flush draw and TP ... with a caveat

SoCalPat
05-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Do you ever play a hunch? I'm not talking about playing 72o because you're *due* to flop big, but I've got this sneaking suspicion that MP2 is on the same draw as I, only a smaller one. In other words, is there any case for smooth calling the turn and trapping the BB?

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (17.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 19.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 19.75 BB, between Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (19.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 3c Ac (flush, ace high).
MP2 shows Qc 5c (flush, queen high).
Outcome: Hero wins 19.75 BB. </font>

bisonbison
05-14-2004, 02:18 AM
You're playing monday morning quarterback. Raising the turn is clearly correct. You didn't know that MP2 would 3-bet, and you didn't know that the BB would fold.

When BB bets the turn after capping the flop, how the hell can you smooth call the turn? Doing that on a regular basis would cost you roughly one gazillion BB.

StellarWind
05-14-2004, 11:51 AM
I agree with Bison. I also think you should raise the flop unless you are sure BB is betting an ace and not a draw or a jack. You may have the best hand and you need to drive out lower pairs and gutshots. You also want to collect the maximum from OESDs and lower flush draws.

submariner
05-14-2004, 02:22 PM
If you don't make the flush on the turn, how do you play?
Call and see the river as cheap as possible? Do you fold on the river if unimproved?
I understand the concept of not folding the river for one bet in a big pot, but assuming you are at the river unimproved, is there any chance you are ahead?

Still trying to overcome weak-tight tendancies, be more aggressive, but learn to let hands go at the right times.

twomarks
05-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Ok - now for the stupid question...

Should someone be limping in w Axs UTG? I haven't been doing this at .5/1 since I'm out of position and can't be sure that I'm going to get enough callers (3?...4?) to justify putting my money in.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

twomarks

B Dids
05-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Yes. "If you can't limp with Axs UTG, you should find another table"- Bisonbison.

And if you've got a draw to the nut flush and the board isn't paired, I'll always see the turn, depending on the action/my reads, I'll see it on pair board as well.

bisonbison
05-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Yes. "If you can't limp with Axs UTG, you should find another table"- Bisonbison.

It was dynasty who said it first.

StellarWind
05-15-2004, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok - now for the stupid question...

Should someone be limping in w Axs UTG? I haven't been doing this at .5/1 since I'm out of position and can't be sure that I'm going to get enough callers (3?...4?) to justify putting my money in.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good question.

I play in the same Paradise 2/4 games as Pat. There is no use pretending this is Party. Average VP$IP is 34%. PFR is over 6%. Multiply by nine players and you are about 50-50 to be raised. I don't think limping UTG with A3s is a wise play.

Pat has not described this particular table. Obviously that could change my view. But it would need to be a pretty special table.

PLaying A3s UTG in a loose, passive 0.5/1 game is another matter entirely. But you need to play very well after the flop when you make a pair of aces and no other draw. If in doubt, don't do it. With all due respect, most of us don't play as well as Dynasty ... or even Bison.

bisonbison
05-15-2004, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
or even Bison.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've ever seen me play, you'd know that's a pretty low standard to meet.