PDA

View Full Version : ESPN

BeerMoney
05-13-2004, 06:09 PM
I was just watching Pardon the Interuption on ESPN with Tony Kornheiser and Norman Chad and they repeatedly used the phrase "trailer trash." Why is it ok to use this phrase?

Last night I saw a preview to Sportscenter that was bringing up the issue that there are no people of color in NASCAR. Why does ESPN find this an issue, but is OK with their people referring to Britney Spears as trailer trash? I guess because poor whites don't have a voice in this country, so its ok to pick on them. Would it be ok to them to refer to Alan Iverson as a racial slur? Uhmm, probably not.

On to the issue of NASCAR not having any race-car drivers, why don't they complain that there aren't enough Asian American's in football? Clearly the NFL is discriminating against Asian American since there are so few if any in the NFL. Why aren't there any Middle Aged White Males in the HipHop industry? Surely Dr. Dre must be discriminating against these people.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Clearly the NFL is discriminating against Asian American since there are so few if any in the NFL.

Well, there's at least one Asian-American in the NFL, Dallas LB Dat Nguyen.

Josh W
05-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Isn't there another LB named Kylie Wong? I may have spelled his first name wrong, unintentionally....

Dynasty
05-13-2004, 07:51 PM
This isn't much cultural sensitivity or outrage about racial slurs and insults targeted at the majority. Therefore, terms like "trailer park trash" (which always seems to refer to whites), the old fashioned "honky", and the older but rebounding "cracker" can be tossed around without it bothering most people, including whites.

For the same reasons, Christians can more publicly have their faith ridiculed.

southerndog
05-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Don't Forget Eugene Chung.

blackaces13
05-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Hasn't anyone noticed that the word trailer trash contains no racial reference whatsoever. If the term was white trash then it would be a different story. Trailer trash just means poor people who live in trailers, its more of an economic slur. The only racist part of the term trailer trash is the image that the listener has in their mind of dumb white people.

If there was a term called ghetto garbage would the word itself be racist? Not really, but the assumptions and associations that people would assign to it may be.

southerndog
05-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Trailer park trash really isn't a majority. Honky and trailer trash are not really directed at the same group. If I saw someone who may fit the stereotypes of trailer-trash called trailer trash it would hurt me. If someone referred to me or another white as a honky I would laugh. What if Britney Spears heard Kornheisers remarks and referred to him as a common slur for Jewish people? There would be outrage and her career would probably be over. But, since someone from the south who isn't incredibly sophisticated has made it, they are insulted all the time. Look at John Rocker, how many people referred to him as a redneck or trash? But when he said something about New Yorkers, his career changed.

southerndog
05-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Ever Heard of white Trash? Its probably where trailer trash comes from. If you prefer to use the term and think its ok, go ahead.

Why does it matter if it refers to race or economics? I guess it would be because you think poor whites have tons of opportunities and they have just spoiled them all, so its ok to pick on them, whereas blacks and other minorities are constantly being subject to injustices... Sure, those rednecks deserve their fate.. They're just unsophisticated. Poor white trash are just the people that its ok to [censored] on. Its classism.

banditbdl
05-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Trailer trash isn't a racial slur. White trash is a racial slur. Fine line, but it's there nonetheless.

blackaces13
05-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Did you read my original post at all? Judging by your response you made it exactly 1/2 way through the first sentence.

southerndog
05-13-2004, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you read my original post at all? Judging by your response you made it exactly 1/2 way through the first sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a habit of doing that.

blackaces13
05-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Heh, me too. /images/graemlins/grin.gif