PDA

View Full Version : Did I misplay AA?

Daithi
05-13-2004, 05:27 PM
The NL online tourney had just started. We all have $1,000 in chips and the blinds were at $5-$10.

I'm UTG+3 with AA and one player has already called. I raised to $25 (I was afraid a $50 bet or more would blow everyone out). I got one caller from a late position, the BB called, and the EP limper called. Pot was $105.

The flop was K-5-3 rainbow.

The limper checked, and I bet $75. The LP raised it to $200. The other 2 players folded and I called.

The turn was a 8. I checked and he checked behind me.

The river was another 8. I checked and he bet $300.

I called and he had J8 suited. Did I misplay this hand?

I know it looks like I played a bit passively, but I didn't want to get too committed with only top pair and have someone move in on me early in the tourney.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-13-2004, 05:43 PM
When the action comes back to you on the flop, there's 380 in the pot vs. 900 in your stack. That would be almost a 40% increase in your stack size. I think you have to decide right here if you're ahead or not. A pot-size reraise is almost all your chips. You have two reasonable choices here, all-in or fold.

I didn't want to get too committed with only top pair

Then why call the flop raise? With more cards to come, calling is usually the worst decision you can make. In this case, you're either behind a set, or he needs to hit 2 cards to beat you. There are no draws on the board, so a set might not raise by so much. I would've come right over the top of that reraise and put him in.

Stoneii
05-13-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The limper checked, and I bet $75. The LP raised it to $200. The other 2 players folded and I.....

[/ QUOTE ]

...raised the sh*t out of him!!

I'd read maybe top pair from this guy (find it hard to put him on J8 right enough:)).

If he wants to draw out on me he's going to pay. I attack his reraise.

Mind you - I've been getting hung drawn and quartered in all games at the moment so caveat emptor /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif!!

stoneii

davidross
05-13-2004, 07:16 PM
I just read about this hand in Capelletti's column in Card Player magazine. I will assume you are trying to see if we agree with how he played it.

I think it's an impossible read to make. If you routinely push all in over his raise I think you will make an early exit more often than you snap off a bluff. Once he realised you weren't going to fold I think he was ready to bail until he hits a miracle runner runner trips. I think it was played fine. But I suck at tournaments.

Daithi
05-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Your right david. I read this in CardPlayer and was curious as to others opinions (but didn't want to taint opinions by saying here is how the pro played).

Based on my own style of play I thought his preflop bet was too conservative. I also thought his flop bet was a bit too small, and I agree with Kurn as to play after the flop bet gets raised -- make a decision as to your ahead or behind and play accordingly. Very passive play from start to finish, but that is just my amateur opinion.

ddwarbuck
05-13-2004, 09:36 PM
i agree you played it like a pussy....AA although a great preflop hand loses its luster in multi-way action. Bet strong and get it down to heads up....or get burned...jmho

Beavis68
05-14-2004, 03:41 PM
I hate seeing a K Q J or 10 on the flop when I have AA.

I had a similar hand come up, 10 hands into an 1800 person tourney.

There was no SB because he was just eliminated, I get AA I raise it to 35, blinds were 5/10, MP and BB call.

flop is K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif I do not have a spade, I bet 70, and MP re-raises 280. I figure he had 7 7 , but an afraid of a flush semi-bluff, so I go all-in, he flips over KK- I couldnt believe he just called with KK. anyway, I was saved by runner runner aces.