PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Flops at 66% in Omaha 8/b

paland
05-13-2004, 03:21 PM
I have played in three Omaha 8b tournaments at UB in the last 6 days and have finished 1st, 2nd, and, last night, 4th. In all three of these games my flops seen is 63-66% and hands won is 25-30%. I win many pots with total crap that should have been folded or put in the trash can. I have read the books by the pro's and when I played the hands that they recommend, I fold about 90% of the time. I also wasn't even getting in the money very often when following their hand selection.

I think that the reason that I am winning is because of the betting. I bet VERY aggressive. I do not use the call button. It is either raise or fold. I do fold often after the flop especially if there are some decent bets made. I've made some enemies because of this aggressive style, but so what. Also, these are $5 and $10 tourneys so I don't get the better players who don't want to bother with low stakes tournaments.

I think that the reason that the percentage is so skewed toward the high number is that I usually don't play my cards. I play the opponents. And in order to do that, I need to see the flop. If I see a round of timid betting, POW, i put down a decent size raise. In almost all cases, everyone folds. There are times that I do get called but the wins more than make up for it. I've also done the same thing in 7-stud $5 tournaments with the same result. A 1st and a 4th place finish.

My new hand selection is this: If you have at least 2 low cards, bet very aggressive. If you have at least 2 high cards, bet very aggressive. Oh wait, that means, regardless of the cards, bet VERY aggressive. This way, many fold when they could have had half the pot.

I have made over $1200 the last week doing this. Almost all of it at 5$ and $10 tournaments at Ultimate Bet.

(edit) Note: This strategy doesn't work in Regular NL Holdem Tournaments, only the Omaha 8b and 7 stud. My Flops seen in those tournys is 15-22%. Complete opposite from the above.

paland
05-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Oh, one thing that I forgot to mention. When you play a crap hand and it hits on the flop, and then you go on and win the pot, some players get very peeved. They like to rant on what a rookie you are and all. So my point is, this type of betting has the added bonus of getting some of your opponents on tilt.

rusty JEDI
05-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Seeing that many flops in O8 is disastrous. I presume the cards are running extemely well for you. I wouldnt trust your system until youve won with it for a very long time. Please update in a month. If you're still running good i will ask for another update in 3 months.

rJ

paland
05-13-2004, 08:33 PM
The cards are not running good. I'm playing people, not cards. And I don't care if it is disasterous in the long run for most people. The point is that it has won enough in three tournaments to buy my way into 80 more tournaments. I just think that, since everyone is so intent on super tight play, the loose play is winning tournaments for me.

Will I keep this up? I doubt it, but while it is a winning way, I will use it.

M.B.E.
05-14-2004, 04:57 AM
I assume this is pot-limit?

jrobb83
05-14-2004, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Will I keep this up? I doubt it, but while it is a winning way, I will use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this quote. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It will be a winning way for you untill it isn't, and then you will start spewing cash this way and that. If you are seeing that manyflops in Omaha/8 and "playing the man not the cards" in online tiny buy-in tourneys you will start losing money big time sooner than later.

About 5 months ago I taught a friend how to play limit hold'em and lent him some books. He put $100 into an online poker site, and had it up to $4k at one point, and was now playing 5/10. This was over a period of about two months. He looked at his winrate and decided, that even if it was inflated a bit, he could easily spend the summer playing poker rather than getting a part-time job (we're both in college). A $2k downswing and a trip to NY financed by his bankroll later, he moved down to 3/6, applied for a job, and is searching for leaks in his game.

The only thing that determines a good player, or good strategy, is time, and a week is not even remotely close to enough time. My guess is tha by the time you read this you will have realized that seeing 60%+ flops in Omaha is a bad idea.