PDA

View Full Version : A somewhat common situation.

Trix
05-13-2004, 03:11 PM
You raise preflop, get a coldcaller, maybe BB comes along.
The flop is monotone and you have the A or K. You bet, get called by the coldcaller( maybe the blind aswell) and turn the nutflush. You are out of position.

Now I usually bet again, but it seems like they fold every time.

So the question is: Should I check instead ?, with intention to raise or call and go for a check-raise on the river ?

I dont really think it can go wrong as he isnīt very likely to check behind with a hand that actually has a draw and Iīm more likely to get a call from him on the river as I didnīt bet the turn.

Example:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (7.33 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 5.66 BB

Had another one where the board was T9x and I turned the nutflush with another low card, if it matters whether it looks like I hit my pair or not.

PokerNoob
05-13-2004, 03:44 PM
I like a turn check here. There's not much your opponent will have that he will raise your turn bet with. If you show weakness, he may bet either for value with his ace or whatever or as a bluff. If he has nothing, he's folding to a bet anyway. You can bet the river or induce a final bet and then checkraise.

sfer
05-13-2004, 04:11 PM
It depends on the player read. Bet into a calling-station. Check to a bluffer/aggressive player.

arkady
05-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Trix,

Yes, that does happen - happened to me last night, I reluctantly bet from the SB and like dominoes they go.

Its not something you can control. If they have a high club they might pay you off, if they dont have a club they will fold either way. I think the best bet in this case when the pot is small, is to just check the turn. You are seriously giving them a free card and maybe they can hit 2 pair or a set or something that they can call you with despite a scary board.

sfer's advice is also quite solid.

namknils
05-13-2004, 05:07 PM
You could probably go for the turn checkraise a decent amount of the time, but I wouldn't try a turn check-call and then river checkraise. For example, in the hand that you posted a low heart might have bet the turn but when you call and then check to them on the river they would probably check it thru worried that you may have a medium heart that is higher then theirs.

dogmeat
05-13-2004, 06:24 PM
It is pretty tough to expect much action with a 4-flush out there, so you might want to wait and hope somebody hangs themself. If you hold two flush cards and get a 3-flush on board at the turn then I think you can expect more action from a bet. Dog