PDA

View Full Version : $3/6 black JJ in EP

07-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Was also a hand from last session. I raise of course preflop, and about 5 other players see the flop with me.

Flop: 9h5c3h. I bet, two suckout artists call.

Turn: 5h. Not good, but I bet, preparing to fold to a raise, but they just call.

River: 2h. Argh!!! Really canīt imagine what they could call with that doesnīt beat me now. So I bet, thinking that a five or a low heart might fold (after all I raised preflop, so my bet indicates a big heart).

Comments on my plays, especially the river bet?

07-09-2002, 07:13 PM
Both fold, but not after some hesitation. HARRR!

07-09-2002, 08:06 PM
I think the river bet is a money loser. You have two opponents, and I would think at least one of them has a heart draw. If they have come this far, they are not folding to one more bet on the river.

07-09-2002, 08:28 PM
I think it's a good bet on the river heads-up if you can release to a raise. Against two players I'm guessing it's not as good.

07-10-2002, 01:28 PM
I don't like the river bet. I think you cost yourself some money. Check-call may have gotten a bluff from one of them. Nobody folded a 5 so you were best going in.

07-10-2002, 03:05 PM
That board is no good for you and you can get a cheap showdown from a better hand. You should look for people who when they bet from the middle you can check fold on the river against 3-way (you often need to call of course).

Betting a four-flush board with a strong non-flush hand in a big crowd or with all sorts of hands when heads-up against weak opponents can be an enormous money winner in low limit. As is knowing who not to pay off.

You of course never know what is in the hearts of women/men -- but the next time you play after an hour look around the table and ask: Who here has the stones to raise the river on a 4-flush board without the nuts? Do I? What might they call/fold with? I suspect one could come up with a surprisingly accurate answer to some of these. It may vary from: none, all, or I have no clue. An such musings make for a much better hobby than riffling chips.

07-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Nobody folded a five? What makes you so sure of this? Iīve played tight all night long, never betting through as a bluff, and my bet simply says "big heart flush".

07-10-2002, 09:38 PM
Fishy,

I can't believe anyone would call the turn bet, but fold to the river bet with 3 of a kind.

I would fold top pair to your river bet because there are more ways I can be beat, but with 3 of a kind I call (not raise though).

Maybe I'm speaking for more than myself though. Anyone else? WOuld you fold trips to the apparent flush?