PDA

View Full Version : My first online multi-table tourney (Finished 7th)

ApolloQuiet
05-13-2004, 01:46 PM
I bought into the 50+5 tourney last night at Empire/Party, just to see how it goes. I have played in a bunch of sng's but never a multi table tourney. The first hour was like a deathmarch, played three hands, and dwindled my stack from 1000 to about 300 a minute before the first break. I had AQh in late pos, it gets raised to me, I three bet it, another caller, and it gets capped. Flop comes Q54 rainbow, pf raiser bets out, I raise, third guy cold calls, pf raiser reraises, I call. Turn is another Q, third guy checks, pf raiser checks, I bet, both call. River is a blank. Check, check, I bet, get one caller and take down the pot to replenish my stack to 1100 or so.

After the break, I limp in in late pos. with A3d, 5 players see the flop. Flop is Ah xd xd, blind bets out, one or two callers, I raise, two callers. Turn is Tc, check, check, I bet out, both call. River comes my diamond, check, check, I bet, guy who bet out on flop calls, I win, and he calls me "unreal" (Maybe it was the fact the I caught my diamond to beat his pair of aces better than 3 kicker, I dunno /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Didn't play a hand for about half an hour, which seemed like an eternity, then I started hitting like God. Two nut flushes and two nut straights put me in a huge chip lead. Going into the final two tables, I had about 24000 in chips, next closest was about 14000. Feeling confident, and just glad to be in the money, I played what I thought was pretty well, boosted my stack up to about 33K with 2nd at about 20K. Then things fell apart. Pocket 99's in bb, flop is T73 rainbow, I checkraise flop, get one guy to call with just overcards, catches a K on turn, and I lose two big bets on turn and river, when he just calls me down. Another hand that kind of took me down was AKs in late pos, raised by EP, I three bet it, he caps it, two other callers, huge pot. Flop comes J high rainbow, capper bets out I raise, two others call, pf capper 3 bets it, everyone calls. Turn is a T, so I got a gutshot. PF capper bets out, everyone calls, river is a blank. Capper bets out I fold, one caller, he turns over pocket aces. In retrospect, I played my hand a little too aggressive, and it cost me. That hand knocked me down to about 18K in chips. Then I just slowly bled my chips away, until it got down to final 8, and I had about 1700 in chips, blinds were 600 and 1200. I go all in in CO with KQh, and I was first to act. SB goes all in, he had me covered by about 200, bb calls. SB turns over AJh (doh!), BB turns over 95s (???) flop is 95x, turn K, river A. And so I finish in 7th.

All in all I was happy to do so well, took home $345 profit. I was a little dissapointed in finishing 7th, was feeling good and confident that I would do better, especially when I went to the final 20 with somewhat of a commanding lead in chips. But all in all, I was pleased with ending in 7th. I think I still have some to learn about tournies, especially how to maintain patience when cards aren't coming.