PDA

View Full Version : Should I have laid down a good hand?

spacemonkey57
05-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

I think the raise PF is standard.

Flop: (11.40 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Nice flop. Would have rather had a queen flop instead of an ace, but I still can't complain. The three bet scared me as it got me worried about two pair since almost anybody at this level would play AJ. Uh-oh, what is the button doing? He cold called two bets and then capped. I'm definitely behind - right?

Turn: (14.70 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Should I have folded here with no help for my top pair or was the pot too big? The button was almost certain to raise after capping the flop when the blank fell.

River: (22.70 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero folds, CO folds, Button calls.

Without a queen falling I don't see any way that I'm winning this hand. I am getting over 13-1 on a call, but I really didn't think there was even that size a chance that my lone ace was going to hold up. Was this a good fold or was it stupid given the pot size?

Final Pot: 26.70 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 26.70 BB, between MP1 and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (26.70 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Button shows Ad Jd (two pair, aces and jacks).
MP1 shows 3c Ah (two pair, aces and threes).
Outcome: Button wins 26.70 BB. </font>

Comments, questions, and insults are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Raiser
05-13-2004, 12:17 PM
The flop action makes it look like you are beat. You will sometimes see an opponent go crazy with top pair, but with 2 guys pumping the flop you can't be happy. I'm putting MP1 on 2 pair or a set. The button could be pumping a flush draw, but I don't see many players cap with a draw, even when it is correct to do so. I'm guessing you're up against two made hands.

Unfortunately you've been strung along one bet at a time. There's no "good" place to fold on the flop. Once you don't improve on the turn I would bail.

Greg J
05-13-2004, 12:22 PM
I think the operative question here is: Does this lay down make you money in the long run (over an infinite number of hands)?

Well that is the question: what is the answer?? I don't know -- but I will ask more knowledgable people to offer one. Anyone want to take a shot?

Festus22
05-13-2004, 12:27 PM
I think I'd fold to the button's turn raise. It would take a minor miracle for you to be ahead here and it's likely the river will be expensive.

chief444
05-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Reads on your two opponents would certainly help but based on their play from the flop on I doubt if you win this hand 1 in 13 times or more so I would say good laydown.

Rico Suave
05-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Hey spacemonkey:

I would cap the flop...MP1 could be pumping a flush draw. If they still come at you on the turn, fold.

--Rico