PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Best: Top Ten Poker Players Today

OJSimpson
05-13-2004, 10:57 AM
In watching the History of Poker on the history channel the other night, (thanks for the heads up Granny, it was great) I sat there watching that million dollar cash game with Doyle, Phil Ivey, Daniel Negraneau, etc.. and started thinking about who the best players really were. Now with the tv exposure of poker recently, we have been exposed to a lot of players some may never had heard of before, but if you go by ESPN's coverage of the WSOP alone or the World Poker Tour, are you really seeing the best. Doyle Brunson was ousted on the first day of the WSOP last year, and up until watching that cash game the other night, I might have said he was past his prime, but I can assure you nobody wanted any part of him that night for those stakes. So who is the best? Im no expert, but I'll post my top ten and reason why. I give props to the old guys to start my list.

1) Doyle Brunson- the George Washington of Poker in my mind and one hell of a cash player. He may not dominate tournaments, but I don't think thats his game.

2)Chip Reese- never even saw this guy play until the other night, however, his chapter on 7 card stud in the Super System got me started playing poker. I did a little more research on him...this guy is awesome. Talk about a poker genious, this is your man.

3)Daniel Negreanu- this guy is at the final table of like every tournament I see or read about. Not bad for a nerdy little guy.

4)Eric Seidel- This guy might be the most consistent player of them all. Very rarely makes mistakes, but can be pushed around by aggressive players.

5) Phil Ivey- now I know a lot of people are going to put him higher, but I think the this guys best is yet to come where as the guys I put above him have probably done a bit more in their careers. Another great cash player from what I know of him.

6)Amhir Vahedi- Might be the top tournament player around right now

7)Gus Hansen- crazy man, tough player.

8)Scotty Nguyen- makes the list just because I like to hear him talk.

9)Phil Hellmuth- eh, why not.

10) Howard Lederer- I hesitate to put him hear because of his WSOP record, but he is becoming a well respected player. Reminds me of Seidel.