PDA

View Full Version : turbo tournaments on pokerstars good or bad

BettnTibetn
05-13-2004, 10:20 AM
it seems to me that the turbo tournaments on pokerstars are much tougher to win than the regular sit and gos on pokerstars..does anyone else find this to be the case

mrbaseball
05-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Turbos are stupid. They take out the skill and insert the gamble. No serious player should ever consider turbo style tournaments. They are a pure crapshoot.

But if you wanna gamble it up and let your inner maniac out they can be fun. Just don't ever figure they are gonna be +ev

M.B.E.
05-13-2004, 11:52 AM
If you are a good tournament player and know how to adjust to the turbo format, you can probably get a higher EV per hour playing turbos compared to the regular SNGs on Stars. This has been discussed before on this forum, but I'm too lazy to look up the threads. Here are the three main reasons that you can get higher EV from turbos:

(1) your opponents are in general less skilled, because the turbo format attracts "action players";

(2) because the blinds rise so fast, your knowledge of tournament concepts becomes very important (for example, see the thread "tough JJ hand" from a few days ago); and

(3) they take less time to play, which helps your hourly EV.

BettnTibetan suggested that the turbos are more difficult, but that has not been my experience.

MrBaseball is clearly wrong in describing these as a pure crapshoot. You can achieve a pretty decent hourly EV in the turbos, and variance is not too much worse than the regular SNGs.

mrbaseball
05-13-2004, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MrBaseball is clearly wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess I would disagree /images/graemlins/smile.gif Fact is the accellerated pace of blind increses makes luck a much much bigger factor. While I will agree experienced players will have a slight edge in the ability to see slight edges capitalizing on them is a whole different barrel of fish. You will face many more coinflips in this format and you have to push slight edges very hard because there is no time for patience.

Luck dominates skill. There is no room for fancy reads or laydowns in a turbo. You go with the cards you are dealt and hope like hell they hold up.

M.B.E.
05-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Here are the previous threads:

http://tinyurl.com/26cds

http://tinyurl.com/37zq7

http://tinyurl.com/yr26p

Read the posts by PrayingMantis in the third thread.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-13-2004, 01:10 PM
These turbos aren't much different from B&M satellites.

For example: 'Stars turbo - levels go up every 5 minutes and at level 3 the big blind is 3% of the average starting stack.

Foxwoods Act I & II. Levels go up every 15 minutes (equivalent to ~7.5 minutes online), and at level 3 the big blind is 10% of the average starting stack.

mrbaseball
05-13-2004, 01:27 PM
I'll admit I have never played a sng turbo. My guess is they aren't a whole lot different than the every 10 hand increase. Mu only turbo experience is with Paradises turbo multitable tournies and those things are ridiculous.