PDA

View Full Version : A trash hand from the BB

Luke
05-13-2004, 10:00 AM
It's 15-30 Party game that is of average looseness and below average aggression. I know very little about UTG, who is my main opponent in the hand. I've never played with him before and have only played 2 orbits with him so far in this game. He hasn't gotten out of line yet and has played a little on the tight side for the game.

I'm in the BB with a real monster hand, 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG limps which triggers a mini limp-fest, 3 more limpers and the SB come along. I consider raising my blind for value but decide to check for deception instead /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. 6 to the flop for 3 big bets:

T /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

The SB checks, I check, UTG bets, the 3 limpers all call, we lose the SB and I raise. The UTG calls, and the other 3 limpers fold! 2 to the turn for 6.4 big bets:

9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, UTG folds.

How did I do? Who bets the flop? Who checkraises in my spot? Who bets the turn?

All comments appreciated.

Luke

amerksmann22
05-13-2004, 11:05 AM
There are the type of hands I end up losing a lot of money with in the blinds.

I like the way you played it, I think you are lucky that 3 limpers folded to CR.
I would have prolly bet out but you line seemed to work better here. A bet here prolly would have faced all the limpers for the turn so...interesting.

Luke
05-13-2004, 04:32 PM
On the flop I felt that if I bet out, got raised and was left with one or two opponents I wouldn't be too happy. I'd have a mediocre hand, had given up iniative, be out of position and not getting great value for my flop money.

So I decided to check and call unless exactly what happened, happened. A bet came from UTG and he got 3 callers meaning that if they all called my checkraise, I'd have good value for my draw and enough overlay in case I was in a splitting situation with another nine.

Surprisingly, everyone but UTG folded. When the turn brought the nine I felt I had no choice but to bet and hope to take it right there. Check-calling made no sense and check-folding seemed to weak considering the size of the pot, the scary board, the headsup nature of the hand and the iniative I gained on the flop. If my bet was raised, I planned to quickly let it go.

Any comments on my thinking?

Luke

elindauer
05-13-2004, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I decided to check and call unless exactly what happened, happened. A bet came from UTG and he got 3 callers meaning that if they all called my checkraise, I'd have good value for my draw and enough overlay in case I was in a splitting situation with another nine.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a bet and three callers, I think you will frequently be looking at a split if you catch. How do you figure you have enough overlay that 4:1 is covering you? You'd have to split fairly rarely to make this raise correct, assuming the raise itself doesn't cause you to win the pot without making a straight, which I would say is impossible except that it happened this hand.

I'd check and call here. Then again, I probably wouldn't have won this pot, so what do I know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nepenthe
05-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Good value raise on the flop. It's good that the 3 limpers dropped out because otherwise I wouldn't have bet the turn. With only UTG the turn bet was perfect. Had UTG called, it would be a close decision between a check/fold and check/call on the river, heavily leaning towards fold.

RoodyPooh
05-14-2004, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the way you played it, I think you are lucky that 3 limpers folded to CR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he want them to fold?

worm33
05-14-2004, 01:17 PM
checkraising in this spot is a very bad play. I would check call the flop check fold the turn here with a 1 card straight draw and your almost always with a bet and 3 calls playing for a chop.