PDA

View Full Version : Getting my Feet Wet

adam61
05-13-2004, 08:53 AM
I wanted to start playing some MTTs regularly on Party what's everyone's suggestion just to throw a couple bucks at it and just get my feet wet. I play primarily $10+1 SNGs right now. I was thinking just doing 2-3 of the $11 satellites to either the Sat 200k or Sun 250k per week. So that would be $22-33 off my profit and every few weeks I guess I'd get to play in the big final event. Perhaps playing in the smaller $10+1 or $20+2 events is a better idea. Any suggestions you have sure are welcome! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Che
05-14-2004, 12:33 AM
Adam-

I wouldn't start with the supers to the big events for three reasons:

1. If you actually get close to the money, you have to deal with major bubble issues in these supers that don't apply in regular MTT's. If you're new to MTT's, focus on the basics now and learn super-sat strategy later.
2. You have to get in the top 4% to get any payback, rather than the top 10% as in a regular MTT. Much easier to make the money and feel like you're making progress. (There is value in positive feedback.)
3. When you do play well and qualify for the big events, you'll get killed in them. Wait until you've played quite a few soft MTT's (and won a decent amount of prize money) before you venture into the big games.

Playing in MTT's around (or slightly larger than) your current SNG buyin is the way to go IMHO.

Respectfully,
Che

ClemsonAce
05-14-2004, 09:45 AM
I agree with Che on this one. If you have never played in a MTT before and jump straight into a 200K event, you probably won't last long at all. Try playing some small buy in events. I don't play at party, but at pstars, you can play a MTT for as little as $1 - 3$, but if you have sufficient funds, I suggest starting with $10 tourneys.

Also, you should pick up TPFAP if you don't already have it. It will give you a lot of good advice on tourney play.

Good luck.

Jason Strasser
05-14-2004, 10:24 AM
In addition to the advice given above, there is something I do that I don't think too many other people do. Watch good tournament pro's play. On Party, for my NL MTT game, I used to watch NancyPH and Dr_Gammon, and for my limit game, I'd watch Mistermo, in case you needed a few names. I don't usually watch their actual tournaments, but I glance at the hand history periodically and watch when their stack changes sizes. I look what cards they played, what position, etc.

For example, one of my biggest problems was getting a hand like K8s in the BB, and flopping a king. Do I bet out? Check call (eeep)? Check raise? Check fold? After watching a few situations, I now lean towards check folding, however if it checks around, and a non threatening turn card comes, I overbet the pot from early position. Slightly weak, but I watched a few tournament pros double up in that situation, because if the turn is a Jack, Ace Jack will normally (especially in lower level MTT) never think you have the King.

This kindof rambled on, but I really think it is worth the while to watch good players play.