PDA

View Full Version : Great fold or horrible fold?

Jamie Collins
05-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Party 15-30: I have K /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB. 3 limpers, button raises. SB folds, the rest call.

Not much on the button - seems a little loose.

Flop: 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Button opens - I cr. UTG calls. I have no read yet on UTG.
The rest fold.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif -- I check fold to his bet.

Critique appreciated!

Regards,
Jamie

legend42
05-13-2004, 12:34 AM
"Great fold or horrible fold?"

Somewhere in between, I'd say, leaning ever so slightly towards great. I think you should have bet the turn.

amerksmann22
05-13-2004, 12:40 AM
I think it is a good fold.

He is calling two cold with the button still to act (he bet the flop, i think)
Therefore, I dont think he is going to bluff here and the smooth call is a huge indicator that he has a 5 beat for sure mostly like has a T but he could have something like 88, 99 but I think he would have bet then.

Good Fold!

andyfox
05-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Most average players, with a ten here, will check to the pre-flop raiser and then, when you check-raise, just call, especially with two three players still to act behind him.

A better player might well realize the button is unlikely to have a ten and, if you have one, you're unlikely to check-raise and lock out the others.

Most players are average.

I find when I have K-5 out of position, it's pretty hard to get past the turn too.

Jamie Collins
05-13-2004, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the response Andy.

[ QUOTE ]
I find when I have K-5 out of position, it's pretty hard to get past the turn too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Respectfully, I'm not sure what you're implying here. Bad preflop call? Bad flop cr? Bad turn check fold?

or "I would have played it the same, dems da breaks" ?

Thanks!

Regards,
Jamie

Senor Choppy
05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
All you can hope for here is your opponent being nuts, unless he happens to have 44-22 eactly.

Bet the turn just in case since the pot is a decent size, but give up if he sticks around.

andyfox
05-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Fold pre-flop.

amerksmann22
05-13-2004, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prolly the best advice. If you do call you are playing for a big hand and big flop. Trips or a flsuh...a pair of 5s was not your intention when you called.

You are getting 5.5-1 on the call but I think this is one of those hands that you lose more when you are 2nd best then you win when you hit the flush and so forth.

Dynasty
05-13-2004, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible. There are four other players in the pot and you should expect to get 9.67:1 on this pre-flop call.

You seem much too scared of getting involved with hands that are "just King high" or "just Queen high".

Robk
05-13-2004, 07:17 PM
I think folding is the wrong choice. You don't know any thing about your opponent. He could be tight, in which case your fold saves you two bets (or maybe one if you bet and fold to a raise). Or he could be loose, in which case your fold likely costs you 8 bets as he could have overcards (to the five, even), 5 worse kicker, 22-44. When you don't know your opponent, you shouldn't assume that he is "average" and play accordingly. You have to consider your EV against the distribution of opponent types. The most obvious example is folding on the end when the pot is big and you can only beat a bluff. Even if the chances are very small that your opponent is an incessant bluffer, and very high that he is a conservative opponent who rarely bluffs, calling is the right play even though it's much more likely to be wrong against the particular guy you're up against.

elindauer
05-13-2004, 07:17 PM
You played the turn perfectly. There's no draw at all on the board, and no made hand you can beat. About the weakest hand a typical player can hold is a pocket pair above fives, and he's much much more likely to have you drawing dead.

What about that flop check-raise though? I'm not so sure about that move. You might have been better off just folding to the button's bet. It's true you may have him beaten, but it's too easy for you to be trapped here. You pay your 1SB preflop to try to flop big. You flopped little and your position is terrible. Let it go.

nepenthe
05-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Good fold. I would've done the same. Either you're behind to the button's probable pocket pair or you're behind to UTG's trips.

Jamie Collins
05-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Well I'm still not sure of the correct course of action, though I would like to thank the responders.

Maybe a sim would help, don't know. I do know it would take long and possibly unprofitable testing on-line since I'm not going to be in early position very often with a low card. I don't need to be good here very often to make continuing on the turn profitable given the size of the pot. The question still remains HOW often am I good here?

I'll play these hands pre-flop that are close to marginal because I have the ability to play fairly well post-flop. But, if I'm confused about this hand maybe I don't play them as well as I think!

Any other comments about any part of the hand welcome.
Regards,
Jamie