PDA

View Full Version : Good fold early on? AQo

DrPublo
05-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Just two or three hands into a 20+2 when this hand comes up.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
Hero (t800)
MP2 (t875)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t740)
SB (t785)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t100) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="red"> BB thinks for a long time and checks</font> , I fear massive check-raise and check behind. Thoughts?

Turn: (t100) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t100</font>. Now I have top two on a pretty scary flop, so I think and fold. Thoughts?

Betting on the flop is an option to see if he'll give the hand up, but I did suspect a big c/r that I couldn't call with just TPTK. The turn helped but also made the board even scarier. I figured it was still early and no reason to risk a chunk of my stack on a likely straight or flush board. Anyone play it differently?

FWIW, I think it may have been a bad fold because the very next hand I saw him call two all-ins in front of him with A7s.

The Doc

fnurt
05-12-2004, 11:29 PM
You played it so weakly we will never know what he had. There's no reason to "fear" a big check-raise, if you get raised you can simply give the hand up. The free card is a heck of a lot more likely to help your opponent than it is to help you!

AtlBrvs4Life
05-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Yes you definately needed to bet that flop once it was checked to you.

eastbay
05-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Weak.

Bet this flop every single time. Remember, most of the time it's just as scary to him as it is to you.

eastbay

RPatterson
05-13-2004, 02:03 AM
I would bet and if I get a big check-raise then it's still not a big pot and an easy laydown. But when you show weakness then you open the door for them to show strength and you will never know if they have a hand or if they are playing you.