PDA

View Full Version : Two hands where I think slowplaying might have been correct. Discuss!

Trix
05-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (4.66 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (6.66 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB

------------------------------

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

bakku
05-12-2004, 10:09 PM
I'd play Hand 1 the same way, but I wait for the turn to raise in Hand 2.

GuyOnTilt
05-13-2004, 03:17 AM
Hey Trix,

You should start raising preflop in Hand 1.

GoT

RED_RAIN
05-13-2004, 03:42 AM
Hand 1 - I wait till turn to raise since top 2, if bottom 2 I raise on flop.

Hand 2 - Play same way.

RED_RAIN
05-13-2004, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Trix,

You should start raising preflop in Hand 1.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain more on this? Won't you run into AJ-A9 that would be beating you that may have limped in.

SoCalPat
05-13-2004, 04:46 AM
Hand 1: I think you have to bet or raise the flop here. If you were in early position, bet out and got several callers, you could go for the C/R on the turn. But you've got someone betting into you here. Grill him immediately and raise the flop.

As a side note, a flopped 2 pair should never be slowplayed(if you have top 2, you'd hate to have Mr. Bottom Pair suck out on you), but if you know your opponents well, it's a great opportunity to go for a C/R on the turn.

Hand 2: The only thing that could make this flop more perfect is if it had an ace in it. You've got a large field and short of someone holding 78 or 45, there isn't a card in the deck that will allow anyone on a draw to overtake you. The flop better is drawing extremely thin. Smooth call the flop and pop him on the turn.

Joe Tall
05-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Hand#1: After 2-limpers, consider raising preflop.
Playing if fast on the flop is fine.

Hand#2:
Not much of a draw on that board, if any. I think calling the flop and collecting over calls is in order.

Peace,
Joe Tall

chief444
05-13-2004, 09:32 AM
I would have played both the same. Hand one you have position and a bet and a call already to you so I would normally raise. I am suprised at some of the responses though. IMO, I think that in general hand one is just as good if not a better hand to slowplay than hand two (just considering your hand and the board, not what action took place on the flop). There are no draws in hand one. And if someone is drawing to trips or two pair (thinking they have 5 outs) it is likely that they are either drawing dead or only have two outs. In hand two there are at least some straight possiblities. Let me say again that I wouldn't normally slowplay either top two or bottom set. Just pointing out that I would expect to win at showdown just as often (if not more) with hand one as with hand two, regardless of whether they are slowplayed or not.

Trix
05-13-2004, 10:26 AM
In hand one the only real draw is a gutshot with 43 or 54 and people probably dont play that and if they do they are making a misstake calling one anyway as the pot is rather small. Dont you think I would gain more by flatcalling and raising the turn instead ?

Hand two is much more drawy, there are several gutshots, but the pot is small, so I should probably have went for the overcalls.

Trix
05-13-2004, 10:27 AM
I agree, though I didnt have the best hand this time.

StellarWind
05-13-2004, 02:30 PM
I think calling the flop is a pretty good idea in each case. But it is much more clearcut in #2. First, it's nice to have the security of a set on an uncoordinated board. More importantly, the turn could easily make someone top pair and it could seem like it just made you top pair. That will give you chances for some action.

I can think of three reasons why you might be raising the turn in hand #1: 1) it's a trap, 2) it's a trap, and 3) it's a trap. You won't get much action. Still you may get an extra bet this way and the risk of losing because you slowplayed is small.