PDA

View Full Version : Wierd way to escape 'tilt'

Gar Pike
05-12-2004, 06:12 PM
So, I was playing a $20+2 SNG on Party, last night, and after mucking every single hand, I got QQ in the SB. Blinds are 25/50, several limpers and I raise to 200. One of the limpers calls, flop comes T 8 2, I bet all-in. Caller calls, shows K6 offsuit and proceeds to hit his K on the turn

Imagine to yourself my disgust.

OK, fine.

I drop down to a $10+1, fold hand after hand, go all-in w/ AQs on a Q-hi flop.

The Rule of 78 kicks in, that's me headed to the rail, thank you very much.

I was a little steamed, so I thought "OK, I'm going to try one more, how can I keep from tilting off another $10?"

So I started another $10 SNG and a game of Freecell, only looked at the game when they dealt out a new hand, folded everything and played Freecell until I got KK and managed to win some chips. Every time they dealt a new hand, I'd look at who was left, how many chips they had and reviewed the hand in the chat line. By the time I got the KK, 3 people were out, The blind were 25/50 with 6 hands left.

I paid attention from then on and won.

I think the distraction kept me feom dwelling on the negative aspects of what they were doing, although I'm sure I missed some things I could have taken notes on.

How do you deal with the negative emotional aspects of playing tight and watching your playable hands get kicked. I fold a lot of Ax suited (less than a T kicker) QT, JT, Kx suited (less that a J kicker) Seems I don't do very well with those, early. Once the blinds get big enough, I'll steal with 'em, but I'm not betting 'em for value, I'll tell you that.

Anyway, it was just interesting that when I stopped focussing so intently on the game, I won. Seems wrong, somehow, but there ya go.

Regards

Gar

BettnTibetn
05-12-2004, 06:17 PM
everyone has experienced consecutive bad beats playing poker and everyone has ways to prevent themselves from going on tilt...if you take a shower before you play another tourney i promise you wont go on tilt!!

NotMitch
05-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Whenever I feel tilt coming on I check my cashout history, that always seems to calm me down.

mackthefork
05-13-2004, 07:37 AM
That first hand shouldn't be classified as a bad beat, QQ raise to 200 called by K6 flop comes 10 high rainbow no 6s the guy goes all in, catches a K on the turn, he should be flogged to death. People who do this turn the game into a crap shoot, they can't outplay you so they throw all there chips in everytime they have an A or K.

Mackas
05-13-2004, 08:07 AM
To the contrary Mr K6 should be patted on the head and told what a great player he is so that he never changes. Its people like him that ensure we stay in profit rather than having a real crapshoot where everyone is as good as each other and the carsd determine the winner.

Easier said than done though, I'll admit. I've got better at grinning and typing GH whilst crying inside but still have lapses - couldn't help whinging at the table last night when someone with nothing but a gutshot called $70 against my two pair on the turn in $100 NLHE at party only to catch his ten to one shot on the river. Immediately regretted saying anything, apologised, said I was just blowing off steam, and added "nh".

Anyway I just try to tell myself that's where your money's coming from, be it in cash games or tourneys. More often than not the idiots double you through. Telling yourself this works on a good day to calm things down. On a bad day, well I struggle not to reach for the keyboard when I realise how I just got beat, take three deep breaths, fume for a bit and try to play tight as hell until I feel good again.

What was the question again?

mackthefork
05-13-2004, 09:59 AM
lol - I'm 99% tilt proof now, I don't type anything at all when I get killed by crap. Last SNG i was in BB with 55 2 or 3 limpers i check, flop is AT5 rainbow I go about 1/4 stack, 1 call, turn K another 1/4 stack get called, river K i bet another 1/4 of my stack he raises i know he has AK call my dregs away and switch the damned thing off, I think this was my 1st real bad beat. I know i would have folded if he raised it preflop and i know he would not fold if i raised it at any point once the 3rd 5 comes i can't get away but his poor play preflop should really have cost him the whole stack.

I know we want these players but they do drive me crackers sometimes.

Regards ML

fnurt
05-13-2004, 01:04 PM
What is the Rule of 78?

Gar Pike
05-13-2004, 01:50 PM
a number of posts about that, type 'rule of 78' into the search function if you're interested, but basically, as I understand it, the better hand gets beat 78% of the time, if all-in before the turn.

I think it started out tongue-in-cheek, but it seems to be a good working hypothesis, at least on LL Party.

iblucky4u2
05-13-2004, 03:06 PM
After an extremely bad beat I took a long, long walk. I finally realized I should "send the limo" for these types of players. They are the reason that poker is not really gambling!

CountDuckula
05-13-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That first hand shouldn't be classified as a bad beat, QQ raise to 200 called by K6 flop comes 10 high rainbow no 6s the guy goes all in, catches a K on the turn, he should be flogged to death. People who do this turn the game into a crap shoot, they can't outplay you so they throw all there chips in everytime they have an A or K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weeeeellll, I've caught some real hands against people who've done that in a couple of recent SNGs, and made out like a bandit. In one, on the very first hand, I drew cowboys in the BB, and UTG+1 pushed all-in, with calls from 2 other players. I debated with myself a while (if I fold, one of these players will likely have a triple stack; if I call, I risk elimination, but could find myself with a quadruple stack), then shrugged and jumped into the pool. Get this:

UTG+1 shows A4o
next caller shows K7s
third caller shows J9o

The flop brings #3 a J, then the turn rewards #2 with a 7 (and I think there was even a 4 in there somewhere). No other improvements, MHIG and I take that quadruple stack and go on to win the tourney. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The other one happened a day or two later, when I drew JJ on the first hand and again found myself facing 3 all-in players with hands resembling the above. I quadrupled in that one by flopping a J which protected me from the Axo who flopped an A.

Moral: If you have a real hand, calling those all-in clowns can really pay off sometimes! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Mike

GuidoSarducci
05-15-2004, 07:15 PM
I remember a few days ago getting raped a couple of times in a row on sit and goes. Shut it down, jumped on the Virago and took a ride while I went through the games in my head. Sat back down an hour later and ripped off 3 1st in a row.

I admit at least one win was luck. I sucked out on someone terribly mid game, but the point is, I go do something else for a little bit. Also, when I play a S&G, I usually also read a bunch of poker blogs. This keeps me from getting bored and playing marginal hands while the table is still chock full 'o' morons.

It helps!

TylerD
05-15-2004, 08:43 PM
After a REALLY bad session (usually only cash games, I can keep the variance down pretty well in SnGs) I make a reasonable sized cashout and remind myself why I'm playing.